maximum fork length

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited March 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
i know that frames are given a recommended maximum length but is it because of the affect on frame angles or because of structural implications?

apart from the effects on frame geometry, what is the worst that could happen if i chose to run, lets say, a 130mm fork on my stumpjumper (if i was to keep it and run it in the 130mm rear travel setting)

Comments

• The Big Cheese
    The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
    It will change the steering a fair bit, it will change the BB height to a certain degree and affect pedaling.

You will have effectively a slacker headtube angle that could make it sketchy in turns.

But mainly it will put stress onto the headtube overtime which could fail.

I was going to do it a year or so ago and posted the same as you, this is what I was told (and some other stuff that I can't remember)
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    i know that frames are given a recommended maximum length but is it because of the affect on frame angles or because of structural implications?

apart from the effects on frame geometry, what is the worst that could happen if i chose to run, lets say, a 130mm fork on my stumpjumper (if i was to keep it and run it in the 130mm rear travel setting)

Interesting...something and nothing.... as it is a fully.... what is the old fork length.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Anonymous
    the old fork is a reba team with 115-85 travel. i fitted the betd rear suspension link to raise the bb height (which is renowned for being really low) and the result is that the head angle is steepend a fair old bit.

so i figured by fitting a longer fork, the head angle could be slackened a bit which would be better, look at the pic in my sig, the bike looks v steep i reckon.
  • The Big Cheese
    doesn't look too steep to me - how does it handle?
  • The Big Cheese
    I think a small rise in travel should be OK given the rear linkage you have...

are you not selling the spesh anymore then?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what year is the frame?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Big Cheese
    I *think* it's an 06 nick
  • wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    I'm trying to decide on a fork upgrade for a 2005 stumpy fsr atm, manual says I shouldn't exceed 120mm. Supersonic suggested certain forks can have the travel limited so there is no danger of extending them beyond whats good for the frame - I was looking at a RS Pike but I assume spacers can be fitted to other forks. Apparently it's called the All Travel System.

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12562702
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    You can put a plastic spacer round the rod, stops you getting too much extension.
  • Anonymous
    tis an 04 and the manual says to fit only 100mm. i run at about 110 and it has been fine. im well aware of the effects of changing geometry as my other bike allows me to do it on the fly. most of the effects are desirable (raised bb, slacker head angle....)

my main issue is whether or not the frame is strong enough, if that is even a factor in the first place, i mean, how many of you have snapped a head tube or a frame at all?

ps. i have seen a couple of vids of it happening to down hill bikes on utube and i dont care if your mates next door neighbour heard about it from his mate who did it twice 'cause he is gnarly and rad so please dont tell me pretend stories.
  • Anonymous
    cheesey, i am stil selling the frame but if it doesnt reach its reserve at the weekend, i will stil really wanna buy summat new so i might get a new fork for the spesh instead, it is a lovely bike. its only for sale really cause i fancy something new, if i have to keep it i wont be upset. plus the extra cash i have and was going towards a new frame can be spent on lots of other bike goodies.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I think one reason is that the manufacturers expect if a longer travel fork is fitted, its going to get hammered harder. The frame must engineered to survive well in excess of a what a normal 100m fork (and rider) can throw at it on an average ride, and 115 will probably be fine. But you will lose the warranty.
  • pdid
    pdid Posts: 1,065
    ps. i have seen a couple of vids of it happening to down hill bikes on utube and i dont care if your mates next door neighbour heard about it from his mate who did it twice 'cause he is gnarly and rad so please dont tell me pretend stories.

LOL