A Win for ShavedLegs

Toks
Toks Posts: 1,143
Well done Alex

Glendene CC/Bike Trax "Bill Temme Memorial Crits" at Dunton (Ford Test track) on Easter
Monday 24th March 2008
Bill Temme 3/4 Cats
1 Alex Kirk - Shavedlegs.co.uk 1-11-412 Dennis van Gaveren - Lotto/Interbike
3 Andrew MacPherson - Unattd
4 Richard Norris - VC Revolution
5 James Price - Chelmer CC
6 Martin Hunter - Met Police CC
7 Spencer Wilson - Tm Economic Energy8 Adam Dawson - Crest CC
9 Rob Wilson - Tm Economic Energy
10 Trevor Orme - Lotto/Interbike, all st. <br>

Comments

• Fantastic - massively deserved.

Thanks for post Toks.

Nick
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Great result. It's been coming. He was part of a four-man breakaway at Dunsfold a couple of weeks ago in wet and miserable conditions that I think got away on the fourth of eight laps and stayed away.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Toks
    Common Alex where's the race report :D
  • Shavedlegs
    Shavedlegs Posts: 310
    Hi Guys,

Thanks very much.

It's hard to describe how much that win meant, when I first started racing I was in awe of the other riders and hardly dared dream of winning. This season so far has been amazing for me. Could I make 2nd Cat?

I stayed away from the bunch in my first race (Hillingdon Winter Series) to bag 4th behind the lead group. That gave me such a thrill.

In the Wally Gimber I was in a break with Andy Bye, we didn't make it but it was nice to riding with someone of his talent.

AS CJ says, I had a good race at Dunton. By all accounts from the other riders, I was the strongest but not very savvy. I did far too much work but I was determined that we should stay away. I'd started the break accidentally trying to get warm and out of the spray because I didn't have any glasses. Anyhow I cramped up on the last lap but hung on for fourth, which I would settled for before the start and it is of course a good result.

But Monday at Dunton was very special. My team mate Patrick knew the organiser and 'bigged' me up a bit before the race. A little embarressing but you can't interrupt and say actually I'm fairly average.

The pace was slowfor the first two laps, and I moved to the front thinking a break could happen. It was windy so a small group could make it. There was a little bit of action at the front, people jumping off but with no real effort or conviction.

I put in a turn at the front and stretched the bunch out a little. I rode up the hill quite hard and just heard Patrick shout 'Go Alex' so I did. I thought he was with me, probably with 10 or so other riders. I turned around and saw just myself and three riders were clear. After a few laps my three companions dropped off. I was on my tod with a little over 20 miles to go. I cursed myself for the early effort.

I decided to carry on assuming I'd be caught with time to recover, but my gap grew. In fact it contined to grow all the time. It seemed like an eternity to be riding alone, and I really only knew I had a good chance of making it when the 5 laps to go board eventually went up. The bell was a very nce sound too. I finished half a lap ahead of the pack.

As I was riding down the finishing straight I could see the spectators running across the track and lining the way. Then I knew I'd won. I held back my tears, but I'd achieved something that means a lot to me.

Patrick, had done his bit too. He was stayed in the top 6 or so of the pack but didn't help the chase. He communicated his situation, so as not to upset anyone. Not enough club mates ride for each other, or work together in races. So I have to thank him.

If I was going to win a race in my dreams, it wouldn't have been any different. May be they'd be a photograph! Or my family watching. But I'm still pinching myself.

Gosh I'm a wind bag. Feel guilty as I had to re-read MrBye's blog several times before realising he'd actually won at Hounslow!
  • guinea
    guinea Posts: 1,177
    Awesome read. Well done sir!
  • AndrewBye
    AndrewBye Posts: 35
    Great stuff Alex..

Soloing for 20 miles ahead of a chasing bunch is an fantastic way to get a win...

Reckon with time trial strength like that my richmond park time will be overtaken by you soon!

Well done!
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,104
    Well done Alex. Great report to - you are no windbag.
  • Toks
    Shavedlegs wrote:
    Hi Guys,

As I was riding down the finishing straight I could see the spectators running across the track and lining the way. Then I knew I'd won. I held back my tears, but I'd achieved something that means a lot to me.
    Aww shucks Alex I'm off to work and now you've got me feeling all emotional. Chapeau mate and great report... 2nd cat?? No problems :D
    Gosh I'm a wind bag. Feel guilty as I had to re-read MrBye's blog several times before realising he'd actually won at Hounslow![/
    :lol::lol::lol: Me too :D
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Great report, Alex. I couldn't stay away for one lap of Hillingdon, let alone 20 miles!
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • robbarker
    robbarker Posts: 1,367
    You're going to have to change your forum name to Jacky_Durand..

Good effort, now set yourt sights on that 2nd cat - sounds like you're easily capable of it.