Coed Y brenin tomorrow?

scale20
scale20 Posts: 1,300
edited March 2008 in MTB rides
Anyone on here making their way down to Coed Y Brenin tomoz?

Im in two minds wether to go down but dont fancy it on me own. :cry:
Niner Air 9 Rigid
Whyte 129S 29er.

Comments

• DanEvs
    DanEvs Posts: 640
    I'd love to come and have a bash with you but I'm in for a day of menial tasks with the car tomorrow. :(

Which trail are you doing? I did the dragons back on Friday, ended up soaked and knackered. (Take my advice and don't do the Climach in the morning and CYB in the afternoon- killer.)
  • scale20
    I will more than likely be on me own so nothing too mad. I might just have a plod round the MBR route. I always end up doing the 'tarw' route when i get there for some reason.

Its a pain in the butt, when im off work all my riding pals are working :?
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • DanEvs
    I did the Tarw the other week (in the dark.) for the first time and I was decidedly unimpressed. I normally do the MBR when I'm there.

Tarw seemed very tame with no real technical difficulty and lost of fireroad climbs. *shudders*

I wish I had riding buddies, afraid it's just me and 1 mate. lol.
  • scale20
    did you ever do it when it was the red-bull? at the end there were some cracking switch backs and burms.

Whats the MBR like? where are you from then? local to coed y brenin?
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • DanEvs
    I did it once about 5years ago when it used to end with the "dual" track but I remember very little of it.

I'm in Colwyn Bay on the coast. Nicely inbetween Llandegla and the Marin, Penmachno, CYB. :)

Oh and MBR is great, lots of technical sections and big rocks. :)
  • scale20
    nice one im not far from you in Penmaenmawr! nicely in between the lot too!!

so the MBR route is full sus stuff then?

might have a look at snowdon on the way too, see if thats ridable!
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • DanEvs
    MBR is burly full sus stuff if you ask me. I ride a Santacruz VPfree and it's great around there. My ols Genius 10 used to struggle a bit though.

Snowdon is an epic one, done it about four times (usually in the rain.). Last time it was blue sky and a foot of snow. Awesome.
  • scale20
    will have a look at snowdon tomorrow, dont look like im going to get any offers for coed y brenin, if not theres plenty on offer up here
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • DanEvs
    Right, time to catch some zeds. Trek looks nice by the way. :)
  • milkywhite
    milkywhite Posts: 534
    DanEvs wrote:
    MBR is burly full sus stuff if you ask me. I ride a Santacruz VPfree and it's great around there. My ols Genius 10 used to struggle a bit though.

Snowdon is an epic one, done it about four times (usually in the rain.). Last time it was blue sky and a foot of snow. Awesome.

I've done the MBR a couple of times on my Trek and wouldn't really have said it's "burly" FS stuff. My bike never seemed to struggle, even over the larger rocky stuff...but then again, no sense = no feeling. I may just not have realised and ploughed on regardless. I'm always pushing it that bit too far.

Great trail though, even if the fireroad climbs get a bit tedious. I want to do the Dragons Back next time I'm there. Hauling my bulk up there will be a challenge!
  • Sikora
    Sikora Posts: 519
    DanEvs wrote:

Hmm. Planning a weekend at CYB in the summer with a few workmates. We've all got Hardtails. didn't realise this place was more suited for full sussers.
  • James_F
    James_F Posts: 137
    Honestly, any trail centre route is fine for hardtails. I've not done the Welsh trails, but I live near the 7Stanes routes and have been fine on a budget-ish hardtail with 80mm (more like 60mm) forks.
  • scale20
    You will be fine with the Hardtail on the trails, Ive done most of them now on my hardtail before I got my full sus. Ive just not done the MBR route yet. I will never be an all in full sus rider Ive got too much hardtail in my blood. Much better to ride i think, but lets not get into that Full sus /ht argument!! :lol:
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.