Marin Trail - Betws-y-Coed

Agoogy
Agoogy Posts: 66
edited March 2008 in MTB rides
Not having much joy finding any threads about this... can anyone help?

Went their today and have to say what an awesome place/experience it is... long tough, steep climbs followed by long technical descents. 25km - 3 hours, stunning scenery and quite a few like minded souls out there.

Just West of Llanwrst, which is just north of Betws-y-Coed in Snowdonia....

I'm only riding a 2000 Carrera Zylos hardtail.... but what great great fun.... have to find a way to raise funds for a Cube AMS PRO 100.

MarinTrail002.jpg
MarinTrail003.jpg
MarinTrail012.jpg
Lapierre 714 - nicked from Centre Parcs
2009 Stuntjumper HT Expert Carbon

Comments

• scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    What do you need to know?

Its a cracking trail just down the road from me, something for everyone there!

I bet you got caked in mud eh? :lol:
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • Agoogy
    Not toooo bad mud wise...

I just expected to read more about here, or find it easier to find out about.

The 'others' that were there spent a very long time in preparation... I mean what do you need to know? bike clean and fit, tyres full of air.... helmet on..... go.... isn't it?

I am a novice...what should I be doing?
  • scale20
    nah there are a few big puddles and mud patches but appart from that its a pretty well drained trail.

Where did you travel from? there are various places around Betws Y Coed where you can start the trail from, but the official start is in a car park up a big hill at llanrwst, is that where you started? Betws itself isnt hard to find, however the official start to the trail can be if your not familiar with the place. Those trail map/leaflet things arent much cop. Which shop did you get it from?

you dont need to take a lot with you round there, some munch, juice, the usual bike repair stuff and like you say bike clean and fit, tyres full of air and helmet on!
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • DanEvs
    DanEvs Posts: 640
    Marin's pretty good in winter as it doesn't get too muddy, still bloody wet though. :)

Done it about 5 times over the winter (all in the dark.) and might do it Sunday if I'm not out on the stinkwheel. :D
  • Sikora
    Sikora Posts: 519
    scale20 wrote:
    the official start is in a car park up a big hill at llanrwst

Is that the hill that takes you to that lake in the mountains?
  • DanEvs
    DanEvs Posts: 640
    Yep it's at the bottom of the Llyn Geirionydd road out of Llanrwst. :)
  • scale20
    Yeah thats the one. I think a lot of visitors to the marin trail think it starts in Betws because its assosiated with there, thats why theres a lot of confusion over where the start is.

I dont think it is very well advertised. I must admit, ive never started from the official start, always started at different points above betws. then you finish in the village where you can get some munch and wash the bike down an the shop.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • Agoogy
    I started in the car park you mention.The map I've attached is on a signpost in the car park...
    The 'offical' start sees a bit of technical uphill leaing to a fire trail, steep and long.....and so on...
    Haven't seen any lakes though?

I travelled up from Bournemouth as I have work in the area.... and now I can't wait to make my monthly visits so I can try this trail out more and more.
  • scale20
    You should have passed a small lake on your way round? not the one that was mentioned though.

If your up here give us a shout, ill join you. im pondering wether to go down coed y brenin tomorrow, you heard of there?
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.