FAO Sheepsteeth and Supersonic

ramonzarate
ramonzarate Posts: 122
edited March 2008 in The Crudcatcher
well first day out today sporting the new Revelations and XT brakes and discs that i got after discussion and advice from you two.

have to say they were inspired choices, the Revelations were just absolute butter, like having 2 large tubs of Lurpak connecting the bars to the wheels, never felt a bump all day and they were not fazed by anything.massive leap up from my previous forks.never even wound em past 100mm as i didnt need to.

XT brakes were top notch too providing great stopping power even tho it was sopping wet and icy/snowy all the way round, had the 180s up front and 160 rear but to be fair never really used the front as the back gave me all the confidence that i needed.ill be popping some of the EBC pads on in due course and that will set me up for the summer.

bike is pitted tho so will be out with the washer later and there is a nasty grinding in the BB but think sommet has got stuck in there so hopefully not too bad.looks mint when clean.

cheers again :wink:

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    you are v welcome, glad the kit works,
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    Any pics of the bike with the new parts?
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • ramonzarate
    ill take some tomorrow and get them up mate.
  • ramonzarate
    heres a couple

dsc01017ql3.jpg

dsc01018jd6.jpg
    [/img]

ive got a couple more to go on later as well.
  • Anonymous
    looks ace mate, i have ridden one of those and thought it was v nice, but that was a standard number.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Red pedals on a GT. Excellent choice my friend ;-)
  • GT Destroyer
    GT Destroyer Posts: 1,719
    Takes me back to my first GT - Exactly the same colour as yours, I loved it, till I snapped the frame near the rear drop-outs!

Yours looks well nice - Keep on going with it, its done in good taste so far!
  • supersonic
    Hence the name! You aint exactly a small lad though are ya?!
  • GT Destroyer
    Actually the name came from Gran Turismo 3 on the PS2. I wanted something to do with that, and Destroyer sounded menacing :twisted:

It was just coincidence that I actually destroyed a GT !!!

easyG's gamertag used to be GT Quattro, which we thought was equally as good but he decided to change his when some 12 year old American took the p-i-s-s out of us, we acted all hard in the pre-game lobby on H3, then he fleeced us !! So easyG decided to change his !!!

edit - you are right though, I am a big lad.

• ramonzarate
    thanks for the positive comments lads.

think there is just an upgrade for the crank and then this bike is done, the idea being that if i come across a nice enough new frame in the future (Zaskar or the like) or i break this one like GT did then the parts i can just transfer across and still have a half decent bike.but to be fair this bike is pretty light and is quick on the uptake once in your stride so ill stay with it for now

as for the pedals Supersonic they are the original DMR V8's,i like em so might just give them a respray the same colour and keep em,no reason to change keep the white/black/red scheme going.
  • supersonic
    Nice silver polished zaskar, mmm!
  • ramonzarate
    my thoughts exactly!!! :wink:
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    The more time I spend on this site the more I wish I'd bought another GT, that looks sweet Ramonzarate, and the site of your Zaskar, Supersonic, makes me want to cry! :cry:

Oh well guess you can't see what your on when your riding it so I'll just have to get out more! :D
  • supersonic
    Seems to be a love or hate thing my Zaskar, came 2nd in the ugliest bike vote on another forum!
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    B*stards, tell me who they were and I'll sort'em out for ya! :twisted:
  • GT Destroyer
    thanks for the positive comments lads.

think there is just an upgrade for the crank and then this bike is done, the idea being that if i come across a nice enough new frame in the future (Zaskar or the like) or i break this one like GT did then the parts i can just transfer across and still have a half decent bike.but to be fair this bike is pretty light and is quick on the uptake once in your stride so ill stay with it for now

as for the pedals Supersonic they are the original DMR V8's,i like em so might just give them a respray the same colour and keep em,no reason to change keep the white/black/red scheme going.

For a crank I'd highly recommend Raceface Evolve XC - Bought for my GT, dead robust but light, felt awesome and never thought of slipping, should be sub £100 now easy?
  • supersonic
    batch78 wrote:
    B*stards, tell me who they were and I'll sort'em out for ya! :twisted:

Its one of those little forums, they don't know much ;-)

Picked up my LX crankset as on the Zaskar, with Octalink bottom bracket for 50 quid - and weighs less than the LX HT2, and more durable! CRC.
  • Anonymous
    i run one of the race face evolve xc cranksets and its spot on, very stif and has never come loose in all the time ive had it fitted, chain rings have lasted well too, plus, they look the business.
  • ramonzarate
    yeah they had some race face sets on sale not long ago in my lbs,ill enquire next time im in.fancy one meself. 8)
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    While we're on the subject of good advice I have to say Mr sheepsteeth (I'm not worthy) has been bang on the money. Got my Kinesis Maxlight XC pro II in the garage half built up. Got all the bits yesterday in my local LBS and went for the Maxis Ignitor tyres and Reba Team forks both of which were recommended by the aforemenionned. Was served by Craig Robertson (he of MBR workshop advice fame, I'm doubly not worthy) and he reckoned the build package I put together based on advice gleaned from this esteemed place was pretty much bob on.

Just waiting for the wheels and tyres to arrive and then I can get it finished. Can't wait to get out and ride it.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • supersonic
    "Was served by Craig Robertson (he of MBR workshop advice fame, I'm doubly not worthy)"

The sheep and I taught him all I know ;-). Buy WMB. Ooops, where's me cheque ;-)
  • Anonymous
    we taught him all he knows, but not all that we know :wink:

glad you are happy with your selection, i really cant wait to see it built up, prob not as excited as you though!!

there will be pics of my new bike later today............................