How secure is yours?

ijportwine
ijportwine Posts: 35
edited March 2008 in Road beginners
Hi folks

How do you secure your bike when you leave it for 5 mins during a days riding?

My distances are slowly increasing to necessitate a lunch stop on a days ride. Obviously I don't want to carry round some huge U-lock to use; neither do I just want to leave the bike unsecured.

What solutions do people have when you stop to nip into the bakers, or have a quick lunch?

Cheers

Comments

• Shadowduck
    Shadowduck Posts: 845
    I carry a cable lock wrapped round the top tube and steerer. Good enough if you're not going out of sight, it'll stop some scrote just doing a runner with it.
    Even if the voices aren't real, they have some very good ideas.
  • gary_fisher3
    gary_fisher3 Posts: 3,466
    I leave it behind the most expensive bike I can find. :D
  • Shadowduck
    Shadowduck Posts: 845
    I leave it behind the most expensive bike I can find. :D
    Ah, sacrificial security. I'm guilty of that technique sometimes too. :mrgreen:
    Even if the voices aren't real, they have some very good ideas.
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    very small cable lock that coils and fit in my back pocket. I used to use a combination lock in case i lost the key, but now i have to use a keyed one since if i forget my glasses i can't see the combination :oops:
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    Cable lock. Or (must get another, lost mine) a small but long shackled padlock that inserted through the spokes or chainset will at least stop a ride-away thief.

I doubt that as cyclists we have the fear-inspiring reputation of the M'cycle crew who rely on "This bike is the property of the M'cr ***** ******. **** with it and find out..."
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    I leave mine guarded by the wife. I pity the opportunist thief in that situation :shock: