Pedestrians & cycle paths

Andrew Brown
Andrew Brown Posts: 30
edited March 2008 in Campaign
Cyclists often get poor press for riding on footpaths/pavements, (quite rightly so in my opinion), however, where there is a shared cycle/pedestrian path why do pedestrians almost always feel the need to walk on the cycle path half of the path?

This morning I came across an obnoxious pedestian (walking along the cyce path) who was well aware that I was approaching from behind, when her companion told her that somebody wanted to be past she blatantly turned to her and said "I am not moving until he says excuse me" I consider that I am a reasonbaly well mannered person and usually I have no hesitation in saying excuse me and a thank you as I was passing but this attitude really made my blood boil.

Whilst I am on my little rant, is anybody aware of a change of law that permits cyclists to ride on footpaths? I only ask because around here we have some of those Police Community Safety Officers (think that's the correct title) who patrol on bikes. It is a regular sight to see these riding along the pavement. Wonder if this if from the same police policy book that allows an unmarked car with a speed camera to block the pavement (forcing pedstrians to step into the road to pass) and call it promoting road safety!

Comments

• spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Cyclists often get poor press for riding on footpaths/pavements, (quite rightly so in my opinion), however, where there is a shared cycle/pedestrian path why do pedestrians almost always feel the need to walk on the cycle path half of the path?

Perhaps because they allowed to and indeed in most cases have priority over cyclists on such facilities.
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • girofan
    girofan Posts: 137
    Cycle paths, Ugggh. :roll:

Rubbish strewn dumping grounds, more glass than a bottle bank, car parks, motorbike trails for 14 year olds, dog walking areas (off lead) + more crap than a sewerage works, mugging underpasses, 15% inclines, apart from that they work fine.
    :wink:
    I say what I like and I like what I say!
  • spen666
    girofan wrote:

... dog walking areas (off lead) ....

That's preferable to the morons that are too lazy to walk their dogs/ let them off the lead so walk along with dog on extendable lead whilst they are off path too one side and dog is off path on the other side creating a tripwire for cyclists

Twittering @spen_666
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    spen666 wrote:
    girofan wrote:

... dog walking areas (off lead) ....

That's preferable to the morons that are too lazy to walk their dogs/ let them off the lead so walk along with dog on extendable lead whilst they are off path too one side and dog is off path on the other side creating a tripwire for cyclists

can't argue with you there spen me old mucker......
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Interstingly our local PCs on bikes also ride on the pavement when patrolling
    Be nice to grumpy old men (or else!)
  • spen666
    ddraver wrote:

can't argue with you there spen me old mucker......

go on - have a go- you know you want to :twisted:

Twittering @spen_666
  • Crooky
    Crooky Posts: 604
    I don't really understand the present policy behind cycle paths/pavements. Over the last few years the council around our area have just stuck cyclist/pedestrian signs up and then, by magic, the pavement immediately becomes duel purpose. What's changed? The pavement hasn't suddenly grown in size, so how comes we're not allowed on it one day and then the next we are? If it was dangerous to cycle on the path what difference does a sign every 200 yards make?

Also going over Staines bridge I find a lot of the pedestrians walk on the cycle path, I think it's because there is an arrow on it so they, zombie like, follow it.