Fat MTB rider fancies a change

FAT_ROB
FAT_ROB Posts: 116
edited March 2008 in Road beginners
Hello

For the last couple of wet cold months the desire has grown within me to buy a road bike, This might have something to do with the amount of washing/maintainance my MTB has endured.

Anyway on a couple of occasions there have been days where i have looked out of my window (I live in the peak district) and thought hmm well I fancy a ride but is it worth the effort of lugging the bike A. From home to a suitible trail and then B. stripping and rebuilding it to get the mud out afterwards.

So here I am, a bit fat (15st and a bit - all muscle - honest) 5'11 and a mountain biker, what would you recommend as a decent starter road bike, I sort of like the idea of joining a club and getting involved in the racing scene but one step at a time I guess

I used to have an allez, an 03 I think and I think it was a triple. I was ligthter then. would this still be a decent buy for a fat lad?

budget is uniportant, im willing to pay for a decent ride - within reason.
Never knowingly past a pie shop!

Spec Pitch

Spec Tarmac

Thorn Raven Tourer (with Roholf Hub gears)

Comments

• There are loads of 'first bike' threads on this section. If you do a search they'll all come up. Choices are endless. There is one on at momment with 11 replies that cover your enquiry. Good luck. (NB. Focus Cayo 2007 Carbon £799 - excellent bike)
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    I'd stick with an Allez.

There are still some good deals around on 07 bikes
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • Daniel23
    Daniel23 Posts: 75
    i have just bought a 2008 allez double... honestly mate i cant beleive how good it is i would highly recommend one ...if you are cheeky like me you will get 10 percent knocked off it too haha... best 450 quid ive ever spent.
    The New Guy