Hill training . . . for learners

_krusty
_krusty Posts: 16
Hi,

I've put my name down for a few rides this year (London-Brighton and Oxford-Cambridge) but I really need to get some hill training happening :) I'm OK with distances but due to my build (6'1", ~110Kg) hills tend to get the better of me. I'm pretty limited for riding during the week so I tend to mostly hit the road on the weekend.

I'd appreciate any pointers people may have to good areas for this or local rides that people know themselves. I'm based in N. London but happy to drive out a bit (north, south - doesn't matter) as I'd much prefer a nice stretch of road that's a little quieter.

I'm not after any monster 100mi legbreaker rides :) Just some small runs or even a single decent stretch of climbing that I can repeat to get my confidence/technique up. In terms of my fitness/difficulty I can handle - I'd definitely rate myself as a novice - but slowly improving :) I did the l2b last year on a *cough* hybrid *cough* but Ditchling Beacon got the better of me . . . on the new road bike - I'd like to try and avoid that this year.

thanks.

K.

Comments

• Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    _krusty wrote:
    I'm based in N. London but happy to drive out a bit (north, south - doesn't matter) as I'd much prefer a nice stretch of road that's a little quieter.
    The Chilterns are your friends! You can pick routes out of London from around Watford that are mainly contryside and avoid busier roads - head NW towards Amersham, High Wycombe - there are really so many routes to chose from I wouldn't know where to start with one suggestion.

The best way to get better at hills apart from training in the hills is to lose excess body weight as this makes a huge difference.

I think Oxford Cambridge route (the BHF Charity ride?) goes past my house and is fairly flat, although not without it's undulations, but nothing like Ditchling.
  • billybiker
    billybiker Posts: 272
    Krusty,

I started last year at 103 kg, I'm also 6', and after cutting out alcohol and chocolate I'm now close to 90kg on my way down to a target of 88Kg. My hill climbing has improved beyond all expectations and having just started the TT season I'm finding the whole experience far easier and also I'm a lot more comfortable on the bike. I've also stopped getting crippling back pain and heartburn. I know its not easy but if you can increase your cycling gradually and lose some weight the hill climbing will come with time. Good luck!
  • Mike Willcox
    Mike Willcox Posts: 1,770
    It helps to have a strategy in place before you start the climb. E.g. Go off to quickly and in too big a gear and you will suffer later. Also if the climb is part of a long ride and you're relatively unfit with many miles still to go you don't want to race up it as fast as you can go.

So your effort must be proportionate to your level of fitness, length of ride and severity of climb.

Some tips:

Adopt a low gear so that you can keep pedalling 70/80 rpm.
    Develop a rhythmn (count 1,2 3 as you pedal and push down hard on the count of 1)
    Focus on a point in the road about 5 yards ahead rather than the top of the climb.
    Put your bum towards the back of the saddle and hold handlebars on tops near stem.
    For steeper sections you may find out of the saddle efforts help.
  • wingnut1
    wingnut1 Posts: 55
    I agree with MIKE WILLCOX, I have found it's sometimes better to plan a good climb at the begining of your route as apposed to the end and when climbing I like to alternate with 1 minute out of the seat and 1 minute in the seat trying to keep the same cadance and gear.
  • wastelander
    wastelander Posts: 557
    I find that while the sit/stand technique works well, but I that I have to shift up a couple of sprockets when getting out of the saddle otherwise my cadence rockets from the 60-65 rate that I climb at.

Simply swapping from 'best' to bad weather bikes I easily notice the 5lb difference so I guess that if someone is looking to shed a lot of excess bodyweight then they will certainly notice the change in effort levels required.
  • alzeb
    alzeb Posts: 35
    BUT not too m,uch body weight loss,ive lost all my strength over the last year from dipping into an unhealthy body weight zone.
  • Cajun
    Cajun Posts: 1,048
    There are some good climbing tips (as well as other good info) in the FREE eBook download "29 Pro Cycling Tips for Roadies"..
    http://www.roadbikerider.com/index.htm
    Cajun
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    _krusty wrote:
    Hi,

I've put my name down for a few rides this year (London-Brighton and Oxford-Cambridge) but I really need to get some hill training happening :) I'm OK with distances but due to my build (6'1", ~110Kg) hills tend to get the better of me. I'm pretty limited for riding during the week so I tend to mostly hit the road on the weekend.

Not sure of your situation, but 85-90 at 6'1 might be a more useful weight for riding. I found that simply eating less, combined with regular shorter rides helped me lose a couple of stone over a period. Even local hilly roads with a 100-200 meter "climb" can be useful in rasing your HR considerably, burning calories etc - incorporate a few loops and you could get 3 or 4 of those in one session.
  • Toks
    Toks Posts: 1,143
    alzeb wrote:
    BUT not too m,uch body weight loss,ive lost all my strength over the last year from dipping into an unhealthy body weight zone.
    I don't believe you. How are you able to ride a bike?