Random Thoughts

andyfromletchworth
andyfromletchworth Posts: 210
edited March 2008 in Campaign
I know most of all of this will have been talked about on here before....... but

1. How about a decent magazine (to use an example) get printed about 1,000,000 rear window stickers for cars saying something like ' i give room to cyclists' Think how effective the ones on horses were. (i slow down for horse'?) And is a public show of support for cyclists right in the face of some of our strongest opponenents.

2. Why is not a legal requirement to build a cycle lane on EVERY new road?

3. Why isnt there a well promoted 'Cycle to work day'? Where LBS, Bike companies, public transport and MOST important of all, experienced commuters pull out all of the stops to get people to cycle on one day. I am convinced that if you can get em to do it one day, SOME will continue. Ideas could include, LBS doing minor repairs for free in the run up, Companies offering free fruit to those who do it, (or letting knock off an hour early,) Experienced commuters leading noveices in on the most popular routes, etc etc etc I think this could be a BIG idea for someone. If this is done already then i'm sorry but its not been very effective, cos i nor my mates have ever heard of it. As a recent commuting convert i know that i would have started much earlier with some light encouragement, and since i started i have been amazed by the number of people who have shown an interest. My boss is dusting of his bike this weekend and joining me on tuesday....

Ramble over, i feel better now

andy

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862

Cycle lanes are largely more dangerous than they are safe. I think we should be glad that there's not many of them, otherwise it might be illegal to ride on the road if a dedicated cycle lane is provided.

I used to use a cycle lane to work, until I had a run in with a car, who pulled into the lane without looking and nearly wiped me out. If cars won't treat cycle lanes as "cycle only" lanes I won't use them, otherwise they are just painted tarmac.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • the fact he didnt look would seem to have been the problem...........not the cycle lane. i think the less experienced riders much prefer to have a cycle lane. on large stretches of dual carriageway and motorway this could be a completely seperate affair.

but would rather this didnt become a cycle lane good/bad discussion. My point is that some roads seem to be built only wide enough for two lanes of traffic, cant be right surely?

Andy
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    1. I have one from the the CTC

2. As above - I commute at 18 mph - too fast for a cycle track. What we need to do is make the roads safe, not avoid the issue by removing cycles from the road

3. http://bikeweek.limelightinteractive.com/
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    I...

Perhaps because many of us cyclists do not want such measures to sudeline us from the roads we use already.

We ARE traffic - we are NOT a seperate road user
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • Mike Healey
    Mike Healey Posts: 1,023
    I know most of all of this will have been talked about on here before....... but

3. Why isnt there a well promoted 'Cycle to work day'? Where LBS, Bike companies, public transport and MOST important of all, experienced commuters pull out all of the stops to get people to cycle on one day. I am convinced that if you can get em to do it one day, SOME will continue. Ideas could include, LBS doing minor repairs for free in the run up, Companies offering free fruit to those who do it, (or letting knock off an hour early,) Experienced commuters leading noveices in on the most popular routes, etc etc etc I think this could be a BIG idea for someone. If this is done already then i'm sorry but its not been very effective, cos i nor my mates have ever heard of it. As a recent commuting convert i know that i would have started much earlier with some light encouragement, and since i started i have been amazed by the number of people who have shown an interest. My boss is dusting of his bike this weekend and joining me on tuesday....

Ramble over, i feel better nowandy

Has been a publicised Bike to Work Day for years as part of BikeWeek. Log on to www.bikeweek.org.uk, get the materials and persuade your employer to sponsor. Check with you local council if they are organising/co-ordinating local BW events
    Organising the Bradford Kids Saturday Bike Club at the Richard Dunn Sports Centre since 1998
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
  • wow, mike...........i really dont mean to sound rude, but i have a reasonable interest in bikes, i have always worked for large companies, (with occ health advisers etc) i loiter in bike shops stroking bikes........ its never registered on my radar. wonder how the profile could be raised. i will check it out and do my bit though.

Have to say about the bike lane issue that i think your being a bit blinkered guys,?
    Do you think that parents when asked to consider letting their children ride to school think.....hmmm i would do ...but it would be much safer if we didnt have all thosse darned cycle lanes.

i know i really am dicing with danger by creeping into the campaign forum with my ill thought out views.....but just coz i'm stupid doesnt make me wrong. (although unsurprisingly i often am!) :oops:

Andy
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Cycle lanes give the appearance of safety to the uninitiated.

IMO giving inexperienced cyclists a false sense of security by providing cycle lanes is a bad idea.

Shared facilities and roadside lanes are poor IMO. Now if there were proper cycle only lanes where speeds of 20+mph could be sustained without the dangers of wandering cars and dog walkers it would be ideal.

Most of my cycling is in the countryside anyway, where the traffic density is thankfully low and the roads wide, no need for cycle lanes and I feel safer for it.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I think on busy new roads such as many bypasses yes I'd go for a dedicated cycle lane - in the main I prefer using the road but a good cycle only lane alongside a busy A road or dual carriageway would be of benefit so long as it was swept regularly and it didn't cross slip roads.

A good test for a new cycle lane should be could I ride a chain gang along here without problems .

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • I feel that it migh be worth pointing out that there are very few new roads, in the sense of new transport routes from place to place. Most of the new roads in the UK are attached to property developments for access purposes, and are therefore dead ends.
  • El Gordo
    El Gordo Posts: 394
    Peoples views on bike lanes seem to be very polarised. They either love them and want them everywhere or hate them as they undermine cycling on the road.

Both views have their merits but as with all things the extremist's view lacks common sense.

The only way to get to my office is via a very busy 70mph dual carriageway. Riding on that I wouldn't last a week and the cars swerving out of my way would be lethal so I am very grateful for the decent bike path that runs adjacent.

On the other hand, some roads can't accomodate bike lanes so the resulting installation is ineffective and dangerous.

What we really need is a bit of common sense in road planning departments and central government. What we don't need is blinkered blanket rules acting in either direction.
  • Jon G
    Jon G Posts: 281
    There seems to be some confusion between cycle lanes and cycle paths.
    A cycle lane is a part of the carriageway reserved for cycles, just like a bus lane being reserved for buses, etc.
    A cycle path is a separate path, not part of the general-purpose carriageway.

Re. cycle lanes, assuming a road with no parking, are they any more useful then the inside/only lane being wide enough to allow cars, etc to overtake cycles without leaving the lane?