Heavy Rider = Bottom Bracket/Crank Trauma

DChaz
DChaz Posts: 3
edited March 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi folks. Been hovering round the forums for a while but bit the bullet and registered yesterday! So as usual, straight in with a question. :roll:

I have a 1994 Pace RC200 F4 (old school yeah!). I am constantly nagged by a clicking sound when I put the power down on the cranks. The cranks are Cook Bros and the BB is an XT. I have checked and tightened everything but still it persists. Does this sound serious and need replacement?

My next thought is that I am a big lad (16 1/2 stone). I am in the middle of a weight loss drive to get me down to 15 stone. I don't think I will be able to get lower than that as I am a heavy build. Could my sheer weight be causing the noise due to the fact that I am a big lad and hence put a lot of strain through the cranks? If so, what is the best burly BB and Cranks that will take a heavy beating and also fit an old school Pace?

The bike needs a full service anyway at the LBS so will get some advice there when I take it in as well but having read through the Forum, its obvious you guys are pretty clued up on these things.

Cheers in advance!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    your wait has nothing to do with with the clicking. first have a read of the finding drive train noises on parktools as it could be pedals, seat post, saddle etc. But if it is the bb or cranks i would have a look at the shimano HT2 cranksets. the bb shell will need facing as the external bearings need this doing. and then the LX or XT crankset.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • DChaz
    DChaz Posts: 3
    Cheers for that, will have another read through the articles and another fettle in the shed!! Failing that, get the LBS to work their magic!

Just a thought, perhaps its actually my shonky knees! :wink: