hilly routes near London?

madmix
madmix Posts: 65
Got next week off work so looking to get some hill training in but living where I do I limited to hills. Anyone recommend anywhere, preferably within an hour or so of London. Not expecting Alpine type climbs obviously just something more than Essex/Herts has to offer!

Muchos Ta

madmix

Comments

• tyskie
    tyskie Posts: 252
    You could try the Chilterns - plenty of hills to have a go at. I sometimes get the train out to Cholsey near Wallingford and then cycle back through the Chilterns. Alternatively you could drive to somewhere like Watlington and do a circular route around there.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    The Surrey Hills? There's a wide variety of climbs in the two ridges west of Dorking, from short, very steep lung busters to longer, steady climbs.
  • ricadus
    ricadus Posts: 2,379
    I hour driving from London? Depends where you are but west is the Chilterns, South-west are the Surrey Hills and Sourg-east there is the remainder of the North Downs ridge. . Further south is Ashdown Forest which has longer climbs up steadier gradients compared with the some of the North Downs roads..
  • hambones
    hambones Posts: 407
    I used to do a nice 30 mile training loop around Waltham Abbey and that included over 3000ft of climbing - flat here you see :wink:
    Still breathing.....