Removing Handlebar Grips

bilsea159
bilsea159 Posts: 256
edited March 2008 in Road beginners
I have just purchased the ergon Road grips for my hybrid and want to remove the current grips which are as new to put on another bike. How do I remove them and they seem very well glued onto the bars.

Comments

• topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    Try this, it has always worked for me :
    Move the brake levers towards the middle to give a bit of room,
    Carefully slide a long flat blade screwdriver between the bar and grip,
    Pour a little soapy (washing up liquid) water into the gap, you might need to do this in several places around the grip,
    Remove the screwdriver and twist and pull the grip until it slides off the bars.
    Use the soapy water to lubricate inside the grips again to slide on to the other handlebars, they will be a bit of a slippery fit until the water dries out then they will be stuck on ok.
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Lever the end of the grip off the bar a little with a flat blade screwdriver and squirt some WD40 or water with washing up liquid in between the bar and the grip. Work all the way around the bar doing this and then the grip should slide off more easily.

When you refit, make sure all the WD40 etc is thoroughly cleaned off first. Then squirt hairspray onto the bar and use this to help slide the grip on - when it dries, it will not slip off again.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Use hairspray to slide the new ones on. They will dry in minutes and be stuck well.
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    It's easier if you push the grips off from the centre rather than pulling from the end, which tends to tighten them. Washing up liquid is good for lubrication as mentioned.

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    "a flat blade screwdriver" will likely scratch the bars - I use a wooden chop stick instead. Can use the taper to get further beneath the grip. Let w-up loquid work its way down. One side at a time and lay the bike on its side if necessary!
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I have had success rolling them off, so they go inside out in the process.