Where do you leave your bike?

Alibran
Alibran Posts: 370
edited March 2008 in Commuting chat
When you are at work.

My work place has something they optimistically call the "bike shed", which is a concrete floor, 2 walls and a roof. Nothing to secure cycles to at all. I've been leaving my Apollo hybrid there because it's very rare to see any of the public round that side of the depot, and it isn't the kind of bike that's likely to get nicked anyway.

But I'm getting a nice new road bike at the weekend. I want to make sure it's secure, but the only thing I can see is to lock it to the fence, which will mean it's not protected at all from the weather. I've been looking for places where I could put it inside, but there isn't anywhere really. I don't want to risk losing it by not securing it, but I'm worried that being left out 5 days a week won't do it any good.

Advice, anyone?

Comments

• BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    What about installing an Oxford ground anchor in the concrete floor? They only cost about £8, though you might have to shell out to hire a powerful enough SDS drill. I expect the mechanics might have one handy?
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    large bike rack coverd by a tin roof. The site is coverd in CCTV and security are a stones throw away.
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Since I work at home, it's downstairs in my heated, dry basement.
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    I leave mine under the stairs in our office building.
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • jefferee
    jefferee Posts: 80
    Work at a university--I leave my hack bike locked up (proper Sheffield stand), underneath an overhang to protect it from the weather. The only drawback is that it's in an area that's easily accessible with relatively low pedestrian traffic.

When I buy a nice new thief-magnet in a few weeks, it will come inside the lab with me, although I haven't quite worked out where to put it yet.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Got some of those loop type racks mounted in the concrete, 3' high & 3' wide. Used to use 2 Squire D locks till one died, now down to one with an extension cable and always get the rack furtherst away from the gate etc so there are other bikes the scallys will see first.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • I'm lucky, since I've got an underground car park at work, accessed by a rather cool lift which we can use to park our bikes. :D

Wouldn't want to park my bike outside where it could be seen in C London...
  • Have bike parking in a secure basement. Before that I used to take it up 2 floors in the lift and keep it in a store cupboard. Before that, used to lock it between 2 portacabins
  • BentMikey
    Mine stays locked to a bench in Hyde Park, usually less than 100m from where I'm working!
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    Unfortunately my Trust has no bike locking facilities on my site at all. I leave mine outside the building against my office wall which I can see from the window and is covered by CCTV however it isn't attached to anything therefore remains uninsured as it not secured to an immovable object. What I do is to wrap the lock round the frame and then round then run it between the two wheels. Not ideal but what other choice do I have?

I'm getting a new road bike too however I will not be bringing this to work until my Trust puts in proper cycle locking facilities.
  • BentMikey
    doyler78 wrote:
    Unfortunately my Trust has no bike locking facilities on my site at all. I leave mine outside the building against my office wall which I can see from the window and is covered by CCTV however it isn't attached to anything therefore remains uninsured as it not secured to an immovable object. What I do is to wrap the lock round the frame and then round then run it between the two wheels. Not ideal but what other choice do I have?

I'm getting a new road bike too however I will not be bringing this to work until my Trust puts in proper cycle locking facilities.

Why not ask your work if you can install an Oxford Ground Anchor? They're only a tenner or something, I'd spend that, and your work then gets a free cycle parking.
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    jefferee wrote:
    it will come inside the lab with me

I had a locked bike stolen from witthin my workplace once, from the third floor.
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    BentMikey wrote:
    Why not ask your work if you can install an Oxford Ground Anchor? They're only a tenner or something, I'd spend that, and your work then gets a free cycle parking.

I agree and I would happily do that however there isn't a chance in hell I would be allowed to. We are not even allowed to change a light bulb. That's the job of Estates. My Trust would be so worried that if I hurt myself installing it that I would sue them. Let alone the issue around it being on Turst property and therefore their responsiblity to ensure that it is installed correctly, that is fit for purpose, that anyone else who might use it may use it incorrectly and sue them because they haven't been trained in its proper use, ad infinitum. Madness I know but I'm afraid that is where the legal system has now taken us in that they have compensated so many people for their own stupidity. McDonalds springs to mind. No notice on a cup of coffee to say caution very hot therefore the person couldn' t be held responsible for scalding themselves. Lunacy.
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    I wish humans had developed from australasian animals, then we'd have a pouch in which to store said pride and joy.
  • wiffachip
    wiffachip Posts: 861
    i store mine in a secure bike locker, well it's as secure as the lock which you have to provide

a bloke at work's son had a bike stolen, from inside a church
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    doyler78 wrote:
    BentMikey wrote:

I agree and I would happily do that however there isn't a chance in hell I would be allowed to. We are not even allowed to change a light bulb. That's the job of Estates. My Trust would be so worried that if I hurt myself installing it that I would sue them. Let alone the issue around it being on Turst property and therefore their responsiblity to ensure that it is installed correctly, that is fit for purpose, that anyone else who might use it may use it incorrectly and sue them because they haven't been trained in its proper use, ad infinitum. Madness I know but I'm afraid that is where the legal system has now taken us in that they have compensated so many people for their own stupidity. McDonalds springs to mind. No notice on a cup of coffee to say caution very hot therefore the person couldn' t be held responsible for scalding themselves. Lunacy.

Safety spectacles, conkers.

I've got a struggle at my new office also - no problem from my employers, problem is that we are in a leased building and its an unwelcome cost for the land lord.

Until then, I've found a secret internal location, but if I tell you I will have to kill you.
  • Flycatcher
    Flycatcher Posts: 185
    Best thing to do is ask the janitor is there anywhere like a boiler room you could use. There must be somewhere. Wosrt case can you lock to a pillar, drainpipe, tree and put a cycle cover over it to protect from the elements?

I use a bike shed but I've had mine vandalised (wheels jumped on) twice in work. Wonder who I upset?

Whilst it was being vandalised I'd left it chained to the pillars at reception as I didn't think it was safe but it's been ok in the shed lately.
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    Leave my bike in the works bike shed,custom built with lighting, shelves for your gear and each biker has their own key. It,s also situated no more than 10 metres from the security gate which is manned 24/7 and has a CCTV system in operation. So i guess it,s safe enough. Greetings Ademort
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • I put the bike in the office. I am looking at it now.
    very understanding folk here
    If you see the candle as flame, the meal is already cooked.
    Photography, Google Earth, Route 30
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    It lives in a cupboard in my room. Take the front wheel off and stand it on its backwheel.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."