Idiot car drivers

jusgray
jusgray Posts: 154
edited March 2008 in The Crudcatcher
I was out and about today and had a few close shaves with cars getting to close for comfort and I was in the cycle lane.

It makes you understand why most people just stick to the paths because I could easily see a bike rider getting knocked of by a car being to close and for them to zoom of into the distance leaving us to wonder what happened.

So what do you guys do in these situations please?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    If they have been partucularly bad, try and remember the number plate.
  • jusgray
    It`s just a bit scary how close some of them get and they dont even realise you are there on your bike.

No wonder this get on your bike from the goverment dont work when you are not even safe in the cycle lane.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Most of the cycle lanes in Coventry are crap. You're better off on the road. Might be worth having a look in the commuter forum for some road craft tips. There are a lot of morons about driving cars though :(
  • jusgray
    Just say I got the number plate, what then? are the police likely to do anything about it if they just denied it?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Its a start. And if more cyclists did the same, they would investigate it eventually. Plus it may get caught on CCTV if you knew the time.

I agree with riding on the road if in doubt. Best way to ride is assertively, but defensively.
  • jusgray
    Hello Graeme_S, another Cov lad.

Where abouts are you mate as i`m just of the Binley road on the Marconi site, not far from the Millpool pub and fire station. Do you know of anywhere to go off-road mate?

You are right about the cycle lanes and maybe I should behave like i`m on a motorbike and command more of the road.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    jusgray wrote:
    Hello Graeme_S, another Cov lad.

Where abouts are you mate as i`m just of the Binley road on the Marconi site, not far from the Millpool pub and fire station. Do you know of anywhere to go off-road mate?

You are right about the cycle lanes and maybe I should behave like i`m on a motorbike and command more of the road.
    Sorry dude, I'm a roadie, so no idea of off road routes. I'm just round the corner from you near the (old) Peugeot site. I generally find the cycle lane on the Binley road not too bad actually. It's one of the few I use. I generally feel safer on the road proper though.
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    Yup, nothing worse than having a vehicle appear out of nowhere and tan it past you! I found myself being well aware it after getting knocked over.
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    its very unnearving when you first ride on the roads theese days eveyone is in a rush no one has anytime and god dam it if somone has to loose those vital 5-10 seconds that it would take to wait for you the cyclist to pass that junction stationary car round about ect, after time you do get used to it - it becomes second nature at first i would loose my rag and shout abuse or make nice jestures even try to catch the offender to give them advice on there driving..
    but through expieriance i just leave it not its not worth it at the end of the day your arguein with over a ton of metal and you on a bike your not going to win.
    if it comes to fisticuffs (in my case) your wearing spd shoes a rucks sack and tight fitting cycle gear not the best thing to be fighting in pluss you dont know who you are persiting off...
    some people on the commute forum use helmet cams this could help if your in an accident or even provide evidance to the police if they will act...

like i said dont let a holes in cars put youoff i know its the urban jungle and its scary at times but you do get used and start to enjoy the commute i link all my skills of avoiding pot holes cars wet grids as good flowing singletrack training and the good old dodge the rush hour ques narrow gaps as traing for going through narrow trees ect on trail...
  • jusgray
    Good advice there delcol, thanks.