Chain noise

Minky
Minky Posts: 4
edited March 2008 in Commuting chat
I had my bike serviced last week and they replaced the rear gear cable. Since then there is a loud noise as if the chain is scraping against something (whichever gear it's in, but worse in a higher gear). I can't see whats causing it, so I took it back to the shop and they told me there is nothing wrong with it.

I would really appreciate any suggestion on what could be causing this (or if I should just not worry about it) Thanks :)

Comments

• tardington
    tardington Posts: 1,379
    Possibly they haven't set the rear derailleur up quite right? Where the cable goes in at the back of it there should be a wee plastic thing you can turn (a google tells me it is called the Adjustment Barrel) to move it left or right (in relation the the rear cogs). You should turn it a quarter turn or more are the official instructions on my one, but I always give it a couple, then fine tune. You can see it move when you turn the barrel thing, so it's pretty easy!

NB hard core info http://sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html

8)
  • ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    ...take it back to the shop that serviced it...
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • tardington
    tardington Posts: 1,379
    ChrisLS wrote:

Actually, his idea is much better than mine. :oops:
  • Minky
    Minky Posts: 4
    Possibly they haven't set the rear derailleur up quite right? Where the cable goes in at the back of it there should be a wee plastic thing you can turn (a google tells me it is called the Adjustment Barrel) to move it left or right (in relation the the rear cogs). You should turn it a quarter turn or more are the official instructions on my one, but I always give it a couple, then fine tune. You can see it move when you turn the barrel thing, so it's pretty easy!

Thanks, i'll try that :)

I did, twice, they are not interested. Evans in Holborn...service with a sneer as always.
  • StJon
    StJon Posts: 10
    Find an other bike shop and write a letter to Evans head office saying that you are taking your custom elsewhere. Poor customer service is one of the things that really sets me off.