cwmcarn setup

jeffers696
jeffers696 Posts: 328
edited March 2008 in MTB rides
well i am going down to cwmcarn this week and was wondering what type of tyres would be best (not been there befor) and if there is anything els i should do to my rockhopper befor i go?

p.s if you see a 6.5" man on a red rockhopper thats probs me so come say hi :)

cheers paul
Specailized Enduro 08 - Beast
OnOne 456

Comments

• Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Cwm's trails have awsome trails and are normally in good condition no matter what, so no need for heavy mud tyres or anything! class trail too its my local, 10 minutes from me where i am in newport.
  • KonaMike
    KonaMike Posts: 805
    I was up there yesterday,its pretty wet with plenty of big puddles and slippy roots but I managed with 2.1 Vapors and only got one puncture on the rocky downhill section.I haven't cleaned the bike yet,its boggin !!

Hopefully it will dry out for you this week !
  • Thewaylander
    It takes no time to dry honestly, as long as its not tipping down constantly, the trail has awsome drainage and run off.
  • KonaMike
    Yep a couple of dry days will do it ! Im only down the road and it hasnt rained all day so it should be starting to improve already.
  • Thewaylander
    Cool you too? im just down on the new estate by tredegar house.
  • KonaMike
    Im the other end of Forge Lane in Bassaleg village.
  • Thewaylander
    Well if you see an ugly bloke on a stumpy fsr, with a red and black fox jersey say hey >:o)
  • KonaMike
    Well if you see an ugly bloke on a stumpy fsr, with a red and black fox jersey say hey >:o)

I will do mate :)

By the way jeffers696, it was dry overnight and so far today has been too so the going should be pretty good up there by now !
  • grantway
    grantway Posts: 1,430
    Sorry to hi-Jack your thread but does anyone have a link to
    this place as cant google it.

Never been but sounds a fab place

Have fun
  • Hi fellas,

Was hoping you could give some advice to a couple of towniers down from the smoke for a quick blast round the best of South Wales on Sunday.

We've done Afan and thought of doing CC as it's nearer for a day trip. But I saw in WMB last month the thing about the Dragons Back ride out of Nelson near Merthyr, so was thinking about trying to do that because A, it seems longer while still having some great single track, and up and downhill. CC seems to be a bit rooty and not that long.

As it's your part of the world, wondered if you could give us some pointers?

Many thanks
  • KonaMike
    Ive never done the Dragons back but I saw the article too and it looks worth a trip !!

As far as Cwmcarn goes,try it you will enjoy it plus if you find it too short you can always do a second lap,play on the freeride course,re-run your favourite sections or watch the Downhill nutters !!

If you do the Dragons back let us know what its like :)
  • Thanks for that Mike.

Will definitely stick up a post whatever we do.

Cheers
  • Thewaylander
    if you can get down towards brechfa, that is meant to awsome, im trying to get there on the weekend!
  • jeffers696
    Well guys you were right, it was perfect conditions, it was all dry and amazing place, the climb was long at the start but once at the top the views were stunning, and I just loved the single track (and the free ride, scared me a bit tho!). Really enjoyed it, I was quite surprised how technical it got with all the rocks, coed y brenin is so smooth in comparison. I am down for the week in Cardiff, so thinking of doing Dragons back too do you have a link thingy to a webpage???

Cheers Paul
    OnOne 456
  • KonaMike
    Glad you enjoyed it, the climb is long but as you say the views and the technical descent more than make up for it,plus you had great weather too !!
  • Thewaylander
    Gogo Afan while in the area hit the wall, i almost prefer it to Cwm!
  • jeffers696
    change of plan, i think we are going to to afan now, i have heard its a bit smoother, after all the bone shaking decents of cwm! whats the best trail to go on?
    OnOne 456
  • Haven't been to Cwm Carn yet, but did Afan last summer. Started off on Wyhtes Level and then did the Wall. Both all right but had been used to the 7 Stanes up in Scotland and presferred them, to be honest.

Has anybody been down to Cwm Carn today or yesterday? Still thinking of braving the sleet and snow for tomorrow morning.