Advice needed...please

sithebike
sithebike Posts: 213
Because of various work and family commitments I am struggling to get very many miles in. Last week I managed 15 :cry::cry:
I do however have access to an exercise bike at home which I have reluctantly started to use.. in fact I am using it now.
My question is: I have entered a charity ride in July - London to Paris. will using the exercise bike during this difficult time substitute time out on the bike.
Obviously I want to maintain my cycling fitness, but am starting to worry whether I will be ready for the ride.
I do not have a turbo or rollers otherwise I would use them.
At the moment when using the exercise bike I vary the intensity to keep it varied.

Your thoughts please.....

Simon

Comments

• Hi there.

It's better than not riding at all!

Cheers, Andy
  • Because of various work and family commitments I am struggling to get very many miles in. Last week I managed 15 :cry::cry:
    I do however have access to an exercise bike at home which I have reluctantly started to use.. in fact I am using it now.
    My question is: I have entered a charity ride in July - London to Paris. will using the exercise bike during this difficult time substitute time out on the bike.
    Your thoughts please.....
    Simon

Exercise bikes are good for aerobic fitness, if you go hard enough, but they don't make up for time riding. Many of my friends have found out that spin class doesn't transfer terribly well to the road, but it is better than riding your couch. My advice would be to have a conversation with your family about your fitness goals and why they should support you in them. I often work my rides into family events, ie ride my bike to and/or from the event. It takes some planning and some times I have to put up with ignorant comments from relatives or in-laws, but I get family time and a ride.
    It\'s not how many miles you put in, but what you put into the miles that counts
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    Polish up your negotiating skills and get yourself some outdoor bike time, at least at teh weekends and when summer time arrives on weekday evenings too. Swap baby sitting vacuum cleaning or whatever for time out. Take small kids on a kiddie seat or even a trailer. Promise your partner their 'own' time too. Think creativley about how to slot in miles - commute? commute one way? Ride before work, or in the dark before bed?
    Spinning classes while not ideal might also help with motivation, tho' time getting there etc can often be better used on a real bike outdoors!

The exercise bike is better than nothing but you need those outdoor miles before July :)
    Good luck!
  • acannons
    acannons Posts: 16
    Try fitting in a ride first thing in the morning before work? Get up early and ride for an hour this way when you come home you can spend all that time with your family
  • chrisw12
    chrisw12 Posts: 1,246
    Yep as the others have said...

when they sleep, you ride, prefrably never let them know what time you're going out. When you come home, catch up on the sleep. The thing is sleeping is allowed, enoying yourself (riding your bike) is not. :wink:

Commuting is a big yes (if possible) As far as my wife is concerned I don't train anymore, I just go to work and it takes a bit longer than usual.

Then on the weekends becaused you've been such a good boy, saving petrol money, gym fees etc. you get to go out and do more rides (you're allowed to have a little fun on the weekends, if you've been good.)

I will mange to fit in 20 hrs this week, using these tactics and she wont notice a thing/bat an eye lid. Now a few years ago when I was doing tri's and having to train during 'family time' we were arguing all the time.
  • Cajun
    Cajun Posts: 1,048
    Obviously miles & hours on the bike are the answers for cycling performance...Responsibilities of life often interfere with our passions of cycling. :cry: I recently purchased a set of rollers that allows true cycling, which allows being able to sprint, not ride off the rollers and all with not having to be an 'experienced' roller user.
    The rollers also have 4 mag settings (0-4) & a chart indicating wattages:, i.e., riding 20mph, set at 0 creates a 150w output; set at 4 creates a 450w output...
    http://www.insideride.com/index.php?opt ... &Itemid=36
    I've only had them for a month, but they definitely rock!!
    Cajun