Beginners Info

Hole1
Hole1 Posts: 5
edited March 2008 in Road beginners
I am 5`6 and around 15 stone. i would like to get back into cycling after a long long lay off to regian some fitness and to loose some weight.
After looking on internet, I seem to be drawn in the direction of the following bikes - Giant SCR2 & SCR3, Focus Ergoride ST & Variado or a Ribble Audax Mirage 9.
Can anyone please help me make a choice and tell me what frame size I would be best suited to. Inside leg is 29". My budget is around £500
Thanks

Comments

• Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    Ribble Audax Mirage 9
    cartoon.jpg
  • Hole1
    Thanks for the tip. Have you owned one? can you tell me why you think this is the best?
  • iga
    iga Posts: 155
    Hole1 wrote:
    Thanks for the tip. Have you owned one? can you tell me why you think this is the best?

They're all good bikes but the a) Ribble is good value for money and b) Audax (meaning long distance cycling) bikes have a more relaxed frame geometary that gives a more comfortable riding position, particularly for someone returning to cycling. Audax bikes are also good all round, versatile bikes in general and Ribble generally seem to have a good reputation altough I've never owned one.

Get yourself measured for a bike or try one of the online fit calculators but I'd guess you'd be about a 50cm frame, may be even a 48cm (better to be a bit on the small frame size than too big).
    FCN 7
    Aravis Audax, Moulton TSR
  • Hole1
    I have been measured up at my local bike shop and was recomended a 48" frame. He also offered me a 2008 Giant SCR2 for £500 or £545 with £75 worth of kit.
    This does sound a great deal.
  • Hole1
    Also, what kit would be necessary to start out with?
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    Giants are pretty good bikes IMO/E and (as one of the largest volume producers, with the buying power that that brings) nearly always score top marks in VFM ratings.
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • If its any help, (probably not) I'm a newbie as well and tried several bikes last weekend, including a FCR 3.0 and 2.0. To be honest I didnt notice a lot of difference between! The only thing was that I found the Sora shifters on the 3.0 easier to use that the Tiagra on the 2.0. So on a personal level I opted for the 3.0.

My LBS was good enough to do me a deal, similar to yours, the 2.0 for £499, or the 3.0 for £380.

I found it difficult to know what to go for and by riding several I was able to narrow it down. Plus a couple of places wouldnt let me try them (?!!) so they were ruled out straight away! All I can suggest, having just gone through the same thing, is try some and see what you like. You can always shop around for a good deal!
  • Sorry, that was meant to say I tried an SCR 3.0 and 2.0, not FCR!!! I'm easily confused by keyboards!!
  • iga
    iga Posts: 155
    HOLE1 wrote:
    Also, what kit would be necessary to start out with?

Helmet, puncture kit, pump, simple mulltitool, cycling shorts or underwear (i.e. with a seat pad), gloves, lights would probably cover it. Add in a cycling jersey, jacket, trousers, computer, perhaps shoes if you intend to do any distance and not restrict yourself to fair weather riding.
    FCN 7
    Aravis Audax, Moulton TSR
  • pjh
    pjh Posts: 204
    Frame size ... probably 52/53/54 area :D

It's great to be .....
  • huggy
    huggy Posts: 242
    SCR 2 has worked great for me, great for entry level stuff
  • milese
    milese Posts: 1,233
    I'm 5'7" with a 29" inside leg and ride a small (46.5cm I think) Giant SCR 1.0.

I'm no expert but it seems ok.