New guy moving to Cambridge.

doobie919
doobie919 Posts: 119
Any road riders around here that know of some good routes to ride in the 20-25 mile range of Chesterton?

I'm moving from North Carolina to Cambridge on the 12th, and will need to find some areas to ride so I can get up and moving once my bike gets there.

Thanks, my name is Sean by the way!
:)
2007 Fuji Newest 3.0.
!!Upgrades!!!!!
Cateye Velo 5 Computer

2009 Mongoose Subject BMX
!!Upgrades!!!!!
Sky blue tires
New seatpost and seat ( made by pivotal)

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,111
    Hey Sean,

The area around Cambridge is very flat and the wind is pretty much a constant so expect to spend a lot of time struggling into a headwind. I lived, and cycled, in Cambridge for 18 months and found it depressing - I hope you have a better time than I did!

Chesterton is on the east side of Cambridge so my recommendation would be to head south and east through Fulbourn towards the small hills around Balsham, Linton and then on towards Saffron Walden. These roads offer a bit more than the relentless flat roads of the Fens.

Hope that helps.
  • I appreciate the reply.
    My bikes packed up ready to be shipped but it'll be at least a month before I get to ride. At least i've got the mountain bike i'm bringing on the plane to tide me over.

Preciate the tips on where to ride!

Sean
    2007 Fuji Newest 3.0.
    !!Upgrades!!!!!
    Cateye Velo 5 Computer

!!Upgrades!!!!!
    Sky blue tires
  • nmcgann
    nmcgann Posts: 1,780
    Go south from Cambridge into North essex - plenty of good riding not too far away. I don't bother going north, it's flat and windy and there are limited river/fen crossings so it's harder to avoid busy roads. It's OK out west to Grafham water and eastward toward Bury St Edmunds too.

Also see http://www.cambridge-cycling-club.org.uk/ (although the site seems to be ill at the moment). Meets at the Addenbrooks Hospital bus depot at 9am on Sundays - different groups for just about everybody from tourers to hard-core racers.

Neil
    --
    "Because the cycling is pain. The cycling is soul crushing pain."
  • That club sounds like just the thing i'm looking for. Thanks for the link!
    2007 Fuji Newest 3.0.
    !!Upgrades!!!!!
    Cateye Velo 5 Computer

!!Upgrades!!!!!
    Sky blue tires
  • bigease
    bigease Posts: 86
    Hi

I live in the Cambridge area, and have all my life. I have done lots of routes out towards the west of town, and would be happy to point you in the right direction.

Heading out towards Caxton, and beyond through the villages can be a lovely ride. Andyp is right though, the winds are pretty much a constant at the moment, and there is no escaping them.

Welcome to our lovely city, I'm sure you will enjoy your time here.

John
    Specialized Single Cross: FCN +4 IMAGE

Trek Madone 5.2: FCN +3 IMAGE
  • doobie919
    bigease wrote:
    Hi

I live in the Cambridge area, and have all my life. I have done lots of routes out towards the west of town, and would be happy to point you in the right direction.

Heading out towards Caxton, and beyond through the villages can be a lovely ride. Andyp is right though, the winds are pretty much a constant at the moment, and there is no escaping them.

Welcome to our lovely city, I'm sure you will enjoy your time here.

John

Even though i'm only 18, I've spent many summers in Cambridge and a years sabatical with my dad there. Got a large friend base there and love the city to death simply because I can get on a bike and ride anywhere and not feel like i'm doing a 30 mile ride jus tto go to the store. Cambridge is a great town.

Are there many rides, or pairs who ever head out of town other than the cycling club. Once my bike arrives there (3-4 weeks at the latest) i'll be looking to ride on days i'm not working since I won't be starting uni until Fall semester most likely.

Anyone interested in taking me on a road ride one day once my bike is there and showing me a good route?
    2007 Fuji Newest 3.0.
    !!Upgrades!!!!!
    Cateye Velo 5 Computer

!!Upgrades!!!!!
    Sky blue tires
  • bigease
    bigease Posts: 86
    More than happy to. At the weekends.

Drop me a PM and I'll send you my email details.

John

P.S. As long as you're not too fast!! :D
    Specialized Single Cross: FCN +4 IMAGE

Trek Madone 5.2: FCN +3 IMAGE
  • doobie919
    PM sent bigease. Awaiting reply
    2007 Fuji Newest 3.0.
    !!Upgrades!!!!!
    Cateye Velo 5 Computer

!!Upgrades!!!!!
    Sky blue tires
  • ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    ...Sean hi...if you want some hills head south down to Bishop's Stortford, via Wittlesford, Duxford, up the climbs to Chrishall, Arksden, Clavering, Manuden and in to Bishop's Stortford where there are loads of cafes, restaurants and pubs for a fill up for the return ride and more hills...should get a 50 to 60 miler out of it...please PM if you want more info...it's my favourite riding country...
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...