Advice on pedals and on tyres

La cucaracha
La cucaracha Posts: 71
edited March 2008 in MTB beginners
Firstly the pedals;

Got a new bike with clipless pedals and I can't decide whether to buy some shoes and go clipless or just switch the pedals from my old bike. I'm used to clipless on my road bike, but obviously off-road's a bit different. What does anyone think?

Secondly, being almost incapable of resisting the allure of both pretty, bright colours and bad ideas, I fancy turning my bike into a neon rave-mobile (brap brap!!) for the BUSA MTB champs this weekend (with the rider dressed accordingly, of course). I thought about getting some fluorescent green or pink tyres as the icing on the cake, but the only ones I've found are jump tyres. Is there enough of a difference for this to really matter?

Comments

• z000m
    z000m Posts: 544
    i couldnt make my mind up either about clipless or not so i use both, spds for distance & flats for anything else
  • Neilio
    Neilio Posts: 60
    If you use clipless on the road, then stick with clipless for the MTB, you have to pedal different when not using clipless pedals and you loose alot of power.

This is just my opinion though, unless im on my bmx i will always use clipless.
    Kona Caldera 08, hope, easton, SLX parts.

Kona Kilauea carbon, deciding spec.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    if you are going to busa and want horrific tyres that are good for riding, try sweetskinz
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    edited March 2008
    I use spds mainly but have recently invested in some cheap flats to hone my skills.
    Practising wheellies and manuals is far more confidence inspiring knowing that you can bail out!

Bunny hoppng itechnique is best mastered on flats too.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • doobie919
    doobie919 Posts: 119
    It really depends on what type of riding your doing.

If your doing XC, stay clipless, you'll regret switching later.

If it's downhill or freeride or all-mountain, it's all based on preference, Some people like being able to stay in the pedals no matter how rough the trails get, but ya also gotta think about if ya crash your stuck in the bike most likely.

As far as the tires, jump tires usually have smaller treads( i guess you could call it this). Basically what I mean is there usually more for hard packed jumps than anything loose, because they don't have the deep knobs needed to grip loose gravel and dirt.
    2007 Fuji Newest 3.0.
    !!Upgrades!!!!!
    Cateye Velo 5 Computer

2009 Mongoose Subject BMX
    !!Upgrades!!!!!
    Sky blue tires
    New seatpost and seat ( made by pivotal)
  • Thanks for the advice everyone. I ended up going clipless and I'm glad I did. Timing could've been better though - the first time I used them was in my first ever race when the previous night's beer intake hadn't quite left my system, but I got on ok with them despite that. Made up for it though when, rather than the typical newbie riding clipless fall, I managed something even more embarassing; on my way to the start line (smooth tarmac, only doing about 2mph, no excuse for not staying upright) I was talking to someone, not looking where I was going, didn't notice I was drifting towards the kerb...
    :oops: