RIBBLE CYCLES

oldskoolkool
oldskoolkool Posts: 86
edited June 2009 in Campaign
Just before christmas i ordered some Look Keo Sprint pedals which developed a fault.I tried adjusting the release tension but the right side seemed to be seized.I rang Ribble and they said to return them,which i did at my cost on Tuesday 12th Feb.A week passed and i contacted them and was told they had sorted the issue.The date was now Feb 20th.They informed me i would have them by the weekend......the wk end came and went with no sign of the pedals,so on the Monday i rang them to chase them,to be told they'd had a problem with their computer and they would send them out straight away.
By Wednesday i still hadn't received them so rang them again,to be told they'd be sent that morning.I finally received them back Thursday 28th Feb,only to find that the problem was still the same and they had damaged the allen key adjuster and the mechanism underneath.
I phoned the manager straight away to complain and was then asked to return them again at my expense,and was told i would be refunded my postage costs.I returned them Friday 29th to get to them on Monday 3rd march.
Today my girlfriend rang them to find out what was going on and they said they'd be refunding me the money because they didn't want to deal with me as a customer anymore!
I find this disgusting customer service.They lied about the pedals being sent back,they only refunded the cost of the pedals and not the two lots of postage as they had promised,they made a bodged attempt at sorting them and obviously didn't check they'd not done the job properly,ive lost 3wks worth of training and they finish it off by bailing out,and not supplying me with a replacement new pair.It would have been much cheaper for me to purchase the pedals from my local bike shop and get decent service too.
I would strongly advise anyone considering using a mail order service not to use RIBBLE CYCLES.

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I've never had a problem with them.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Just before christmas i ordered some Look Keo Sprint pedals which developed a fault.I tried adjusting the release tension but the right side seemed to be seized.I rang Ribble and they said to return them,which i did at my cost on Tuesday 12th Feb.A week passed and i contacted them and was told they had sorted the issue.The date was now Feb 20th.They informed me i would have them by the weekend......the wk end came and went with no sign of the pedals,so on the Monday i rang them to chase them,to be told they'd had a problem with their computer and they would send them out straight away.
    By Wednesday i still hadn't received them so rang them again,to be told they'd be sent that morning.I finally received them back Thursday 28th Feb,only to find that the problem was still the same and they had damaged the allen key adjuster and the mechanism underneath.
    I phoned the manager straight away to complain and was then asked to return them again at my expense,and was told i would be refunded my postage costs.I returned them Friday 29th to get to them on Monday 3rd march.
    Today my girlfriend rang them to find out what was going on and they said they'd be refunding me the money because they didn't want to deal with me as a customer anymore!
    I find this disgusting customer service.They lied about the pedals being sent back,they only refunded the cost of the pedals and not the two lots of postage as they had promised,they made a bodged attempt at sorting them and obviously didn't check they'd not done the job properly,ive lost 3wks worth of training and they finish it off by bailing out,and not supplying me with a replacement new pair.It would have been much cheaper for me to purchase the pedals from my local bike shop and get decent service too.
    I would strongly advise anyone considering using a mail order service not to use RIBBLE CYCLES.

I agree. It's really a drag when your perfect world is totally screwed up by incompetent
    louts and idiot computers. I have had a few things like this happen to me and I will not
    tolerate it. My god, who the hell do these people think they are and what right do they
    have to ruin my day. There should be a law, with fines, against this type of thing. I
    would suggest a lawsuit against these people on the grounds of mental cruelty. Things
    like this should not be allowed to happen.

Dennis Noward
  • pipsqueak
    pipsqueak Posts: 72
    "Same old Same old" im afraid, customer service means jack in todays world, whether its cycling ,white goods, electronics or computers.

Pay a premium and you'll get the service. the allure of cheap prices is strong for us all, but their will be a price to pay, and that is usually a service to go with the cheap goods.

I have used Ribble in the past and continue to do so. But only because they are 10 miles away and i can return goods in person which makes it more uncomfortable dealing with an unhappy customer face to face rather than ear to ear by phone, which will usually get your problem dealt with ther and then.

Vote with feet have a rant and dont deal with them again. Job done.
  • primalcarl
    primalcarl Posts: 579
    Ribble are crap. A frame arrived dented. Could I get hold of them? Not once
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    It must be Ribbles turn to be bad-mouthed. Whos turn will it be tomorrow - ChainReactioCycles, Wiggle, Parkers, etc........?

Never had a problem with any of the aforementioned companies - including Ribble..
  • Only ever ordered from Ribble once and that was late last year when i purchased a Ribble winter training bike, was told when order was placed it would be 6 weeks before bike would be ready and it did arrive on the day they said it would. Personally i cant grumble at all with the service i got from Ribble, and would order from them again.
    1892 Posts: 1,690
    Never had any problems with them including when I had to sent back a faulty Blackburn computer.
    I don't like paying p & p though, but I'm just tight :lol:
    Justice for the 96
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,076
    I had problems. First order ever with them. They fked it up.

Not good given the many flawless Wiggle orders I've had.
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    They've been spot on 4 out of 4 times for me. :)
    No free fruit gums though. :(
  • jpembroke
    jpembroke Posts: 2,569
    I bought a frame from them which had a damaged headtube. They'd attempted to cover the mark with some black insulation tape. I kid you not.
    I'm only concerned with looking concerned
  • on the road
    on the road Posts: 5,631
    I've heard of lots of people having problems with Ribble but I've never had any problem with them, I must be one of the lucky ones.
    1892 Posts: 1,690
    It maybe something we have to put up with from internet sales poor customer service they don't respond to emails I've not had any problems with cycle part suppliers and I've used a few all been great but play.com very cheep but you try and send something back.

Now I've had a moan who about praising the good ones. EG: wiggle, chain reaction etc :roll:
    Justice for the 96
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I think all companies can make a mistake. I've ordered 3 things from Ribble and 3 arrived on time and all correct. I've had loads of orders through Wiggle, most of them went fine, only 1 order went awry (jersey came in M, ordered a L, Wiggle sorted it). CRC have a 100% from me aswell.

TBH I've not had many problems. My Cateye Single Shot Plus from Wiggle has just died after 3 months, but I've emailed them and they've said they are going to replace it.

All companies make mistakes from time to time. If companies are good, they'll grow, get more orders and so they'll probably make more mistakes.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • tim000
    tim000 Posts: 718
    i orderd some kit of the last year. a gillet , sis go powder and some sis go bars . they sent out the powder and a long sleaved jacket , no bars . contacted them and sent the jacket back. they sent out the gillet but still no bars . then a pack of bars came with a note saying with compiments. 2 days later the bars i orderd came . poor service but i got 48 energy bars for the price of 24 . :)
  • tim000
    tim000 Posts: 718
    now if you want poor service go to DAVE HINDE . bloody awfull. :x . they tell you something will be ready in 2 days then take two weeks to come up with the good . i wont be using them again and i only live 2 miles away .
  • Lysander
    Lysander Posts: 349
    Parker International, I have used them for about 7 years and they have always been very good.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Ordered some sweeties from Wiggle and got a free chainring bolt tool in the jiffy bag :lol:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • on the road
    I usually just get free sweeties :lol:
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Ironic since i ve just ordered a frame from them but i don't reckon they re the best there is - they are the most comprehensive roadie shop though

they seem to charge alot for P&P given the competitors don't charge any, and it takes a good 2,3,4 days from them wheras CRC and Wiggle are usually next day.....but they have never screwed anything up, and they are honest about how long it will take so fair's fair i reckon....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • stelvio
    stelvio Posts: 1,422
    For what it's worth, both Ribble and Wiggle have messed me around.
    No problems yet with Parkers, St Johns, Evans (mail-order), CTC shop, Mike Dyason or Chain-reaction.
    Wiggle particularly annoying as they make a point of proclaiming their customer friendliness on the web-site, but are completely hopeless when things go wrong.
    Interestingly, Wiggle are currently short of staff - perhaps they get the same treatment as the customers ?
  • on the road
    I prdered SIS 1.6KG Go drink from wiggle, ordered it late night Thursday/Friday morning post free, it arrived this morning, good service from my point of view :)
  • Ordered some wheels - paid for my next day delivery. Parcelfarce have sent then to Nottingham (fine if I lived in Nottingham -I live near Manchetser), lost them at Nottingham, found them again, then put them on ashelf and forgotten about them. Two days late and there is still no sign of them arriving - "might be next week sometime love".

Quick call to Ribble - can I have my postage refunded? You can claim the postage back after all? Not company policy to refund postage.

So that's £9.50 paid for next day delivery and three days after being posted I still ain't got any wheels.

Notes to self: remove Ribble from favourites list, check which courier companies use to send stuff
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    Ordered some wheels - paid for my next day delivery. Parcelfarce have sent then to Nottingham (fine if I lived in Nottingham -I live near Manchetser), lost them at Nottingham, found them again, then put them on ashelf and forgotten about them. Two days late and there is still no sign of them arriving - "might be next week sometime love".

Quick call to Ribble - can I have my postage refunded? You can claim the postage back after all? Not company policy to refund postage.

So that's £9.50 paid for next day delivery and three days after being posted I still ain't got any wheels.

Notes to self: remove Ribble from favourites list, check which courier companies use to send stuff

thats a truly tragic story however theres one flaw-ribble dont offer 'next day' postage-theres set prices depending on the size/weight of the item

that being said all my recent purchases from them have arrived next day
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • brazzy
    brazzy Posts: 326
    So that's £9.50 paid for next day delivery and three days after being posted I still ain't got any wheels

i didnt think Ribble offered next day delivery? says 3-4 working days on their site...
    "Give An Inch...Make A Friend"
  • Find a company that has never made a mistake and has never had customer service issues (especially companies of this size) and i will find you chickens teeth, sh1t happens deal with it :P 8)
  • Just bought a load of stuff from ribble including frame, forks and headset.

Stuff arrived on time and propmtly.

They even assembled the headset in the frame for me..............same they didn't remove all the shards of aluminium from the frame first .........aaarrrggghhh......

That said, they are incredibly cheap........and that always comes at a price (if you know what I mean)
  • I have never had a problem with Wiggle, Ribble, Parkers, in fact it surprises me how god they can be. I have sent stuff back or changed stuff especially with Wiggle and they have been 100% fairplay.

Simple answer to all this though. If you can find a good reliable LBS then support them even if it's a couple of £ more. On a Saturday afternoon when you have a problem the day before a race the web is no good then.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Always found them good - especially in the shop itself.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • +1
  • passout wrote:
    Always found them good - especially in the shop itself.

+1