Contacting Planet-X

2»

Comments

• jpembroke
    jpembroke Posts: 2,569
    Any idea of the price of the Ti 'cross frame? Just want to know how much I have to save before September.
    I'm only concerned with looking concerned
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Giant Mancp - I can see your point.

But how much is a Lynskey frame? The cheap one (R120) seems to be $2,550. By the time you've converted to £ and added the UK ripoff extra, you're looking at at least £1500.

So with P-X you're getting a Lynskey frame for a lot less. Would you rather pay a lot more, for the same quality frame, but just with a different name on the downtube?

No No I do see your point reddragon and the frame looks gorgeous and as you say, good value for what it is, guess I was expecting a super value deal like on their carbon frames. And of course it doesn't matter to me the name on the downtube. Christ no!! :D
  • We could very possibly go off to China to the same factories used by the likes of Van Nicholas etc and produce a frame that could retail for circa 499 pounds , and maybe make it into a complete 999 bike.

But at the moment we are enjoying working with the Lynskey guys - super short development and leadtimes , huge flexibility in manufacturing , years and years of hard earned experience in building frames for the worlds top riders , short production runs , cutting edge in house tube profiling, and a lot of feedback and input from Mark and the Lynskey team into making our designs perform better .

If you compare the prices of the new ti bikes compared to the like Litespeed , Merlin etc then the prices probably do "blow it apart ."

Im not sure its a like for like comparing a lynskey / litespeed / merlin / moots / to a van nicholas / other chinese made ti - cost prices ex china are circa 50% of the USA .

Having said that , the 999 ti bike with ultegra is a tempting thought , so who knows maybe well be heading East eventually .
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Sounds like we should grab a Lynskey while we can then Dave, I for one shall be in the queue! Looking forward to seeing the range. Thanks for the info.
  • synchronicity
    synchronicity Posts: 1,415
    I just wanted to say that your blog-style website layout was a big inspiration for my own site. Seems to me that many other manufacturers are doing the same thing now (at least the few I've had the time to look at); I think your website is tops!
  • pugwashcp
    pugwashcp Posts: 120
    The wife is treating me for my 40th this year so I'm in the market for a Ti frame this summer. Unfortunately I'll have to wait until August for it but I'm really looking forward to building it up for the Wild Wales Challenge.

At £999 that Ti sportive frame has jumped to the top of my wish list (just ahead of the Sunday Silk Road)

Time to start saving my pennies for new bits and bobs.....can't hang any old tat on a Ti frame now, can I !!!
    He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Muzak
    Muzak Posts: 78

But how much is a Lynskey frame? The cheap one (R120) seems to be $2,550. By the time you've converted to £ and added the UK ripoff extra, you're looking at at least £1500.

So with P-X you're getting a Lynskey frame for a lot less. Would you rather pay a lot more, for the same quality frame, but just with a different name on the downtube?

Is the Planet-X equivalent quality to the Lynskey R120 then?
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Muzak wrote:

Is the Planet-X equivalent quality to the Lynskey R120 then?

Probably not.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • We think its much better - similar butted tubing better , but better geometry , much improved clearance for 25mm tyres and mudguard eyelets , shorter headtube , longer chainstays , and I think slightly longer toptubes .

The main reason we arent carrying the lynskey frames is that we have pretty strong ideas on what we want in terms of geometry and we didnt like the lynskey geometry and felt the specs werent right for the uk market .

Lynskey like quite a few US manufacturers have some what we thought to be quite strange geometry , if you read the cycling weekly sportive review they had similar feelings about the litespeed sportive with it being universally unloved .

So we gave them the geometry , and clearances , and designs we wanted and whilst originally we could have had the lynskey frames made to planet x geometry but branded lynskey , it became simpler and more hinest to brand them planet x .
  • Mog Uk
    Mog Uk Posts: 964
    Ok so what's the best method/mail addy to contact Planet X....?

I've tried a couple of emails and had nothing and the phone just rings ?

Really need a couple of questions answering before placing a Stealth order....
  • Sorry - Andy's computer blew up yesterday - and he's off until Monday.

brant@on-one.co.uk and I'll help you as best i can, or iancammish@planet-x-bikes.com is good for TT help.
  • Mog Uk
    Mog Uk Posts: 964
    Cheers Brant, have sent you a mail......