Graeme Obree - so sad

carlstone
carlstone Posts: 602
edited March 2008 in Campaign
There follows an extract from Graeme Obree's blog on his website:
Unsung heroes
Thanks for all your kind comments. I must say, though, that you must be careful not to take the film as a literal account. I was never a courier for starters and I was actually disqualified rather than falling off. Anyhow it doesn't matter really if a lot of poeple enjoyed it.
I have been toying with my options recently in regard to what to do next with the rather historical world of cycling. There is clearly no place for a loose cannon like me in a paid and controlled organisation and besides I do make qualified poeple feel threatened. I vowed as a new year resolution that I would either drop all resentment and move on and out of that past world forever or I would seek out a path to 'strawman' status and just say it as it really went down. I think I will just move on so to that end I will be selling my medals and championship cirtificates, record cirtificates, Olympic participation medal and the few pieces of truly unique memorabilia in a timescale that I have not set just yet.
I have a a handfull of full size film posters that I will sell signed until 1st of March for £100 or dollar or euro equivalent plus postage.
I will put more bloggs up now that I have remembered my code word. I continue to be uplifted by the kind words of ordinary cyclists and ordinary members of the public. Currently I have no contact with elite lever male cyclists or ex cyclists of any kind. I will always be a real cyclist and I still do not drive a car and I can never ever imagine not owning a bicycle. I must say a thankyou to all the poeple who helped me and encouraged me through the years and never got recognition for it.
I also want to mention Yvonne McGregor who also broke the World Hour Record and got so little recognition of the immensity of her achievement that ranks alongside any other hour record holder. She truly is the unsung hero of the nineties and what's more I would stake my life on the fact that she did it clean in an era that has been shown to have been a little shabby. She also became World Champion at the age of forty yet still did not get the notoriety that a male rider would have achieved in a sport and a sporting press that can be just a little sexist - in my opinion. Well done Yvonne.
Say more soon - you only get an hour in the library.

I just find it very sad that such an outstanding athlete could end up feeling that he was left with such stark options. He admits to himself that his personality doesn't lend itself to a 'normal job', but a man with his ability, passion and achievements must be able to give somthing back to the world of cycling and sport in general, as well as being an ambassador for Scotland.

All I can say is I hope Graeme is happy (or at least not unhappy) with his decision and it would be nice for some institution (museum, sports academy etc.) to buy all his medals etc. to be displayed as testament to this unorthodox champion.

Comments

• trio25
    trio25 Posts: 300
    Do you have the url for his blog?
  • carlstone
    carlstone Posts: 602
    Yes, his website is at:

http://www.obree.com/

and blog:

http://gobree.blogspot.com/

Carl.
  • pedylan
    pedylan Posts: 768
    Thanks for posting this carlstone.

The blog and website are minimalist to say the least!

Someone as talented as Graeme really deserves to find a role where he can contribte to the development of British cycling. It's such a pity that neither he (nor Robert Millar) has found such a role.

Maybe something that British Cycling should ponder particularly on a day when another talent has been snatched away. :(
    Where the neon madmen climb
  • trio25
    trio25 Posts: 300
    Thank you for the links.

I've read his book but I have not yet seen the film. I found the book inspirational.
  • Ruari
    Ruari Posts: 217
    Read the book, then watched the film. Was confused, thinking 'hang on a mo....that's not right!' The film, as alas, so many are today, is almost an interpretation of the book and does not quite manage to convey the frustration , depression and the ultimate highs of Graemes' achievements and life. I'd almost say don't watch the film.
    FCN 1
  • pliptrot
    pliptrot Posts: 582
    It's a strange world in which someone with great talent and personality is marginalized because he is perhaps a little different. The most successful groups/companies/nations celebrate and embrace such differences; the rest are mired in mediocrity.

it seems we remain a tribal species. If you need evidence of that, try finding competitive cyclists and their clubs who are remotely friendly or welcoming.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Derby Mercury is the only cycling club I've ever been a member of but I'd say it was relatively friendly and welcoming - welcoming enough for about 120 members anyway - I'm sure we aren't unique. When people peddle the myth that road clubs are unfriendly I'm always interested to know which clubs they have experience of.

As you were.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    pliptrot wrote:
    It's a strange world in which someone with great talent and personality is marginalized because he is perhaps a little different. The most successful groups/companies/nations celebrate and embrace such differences; the rest are mired in mediocrity.

it seems we remain a tribal species. If you need evidence of that, try finding competitive cyclists and their clubs who are remotely friendly or welcoming.

try finding...... Yes, I couldn't agree more. Having worked with a "racing club" for
    many years I have seen this happen many times. New person comes to the races and
    because he's not as good or experienced as the others he probably won't even get
    talked too until he "proves" himself worthy. If he sticks around that long. More than a few
    of these local and regional racers delude themselves into thinking that they hotshot
    know it all's. You are absolutely right. The club I'm with often wonders why we don't
    get lots of new members. It's the somewhat elitist attitude that the group gives off.
    Love them all on a personal, non bike, level but there is something about them when they
    are together as a group that puts people off.

Dennis Noward
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I have to ask which clubs these are ?

Maybe it depends on the definition of welcoming. It's true that in a lot of clubs some of the membership are not interested in compromising their training to look after a newcomer - I think that's sometimes a shame and if everyone did a little bit for the club then it wouldn't fall on the usual few to do a lot - but on the other hand if people don't like competitiveness and object to being dropped on a chain gang then it's probably not for them anyway.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • There's plenty of clubs out there who welcome newcomers. You have to pick the ones that aren't set up purely for racing.
    I joined North Notts Olympic as a 13 year old, the club runs were run by an old chap, who raced rarely & marshalled frequently. A real club, alsorts of odd-balls in it.
    I later joined the Mansfield Road Club, set up purely for racers, well, actually I lie, mostly for alcoholics who raced at times! Membership was virtually invitation only, very different.
    I see one chap here's in Manchester Wheelers, I only remember them in the Trueman's Steel "Proteam" era, with the likes of Malc Elliott riding, more members in Essex than Manchester.
    Of the other local clubs to me, several were pure racing like VC Europa, many more were cycling clubs, like Sherwood CC. I'd bet the true cycling clubs had an old style bike shop at their core, A&C Sports was "ours"
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    I suspect that part of the problem is that cycling is certainly at amateur level an individual sport- so that it is not in the interests of rider A to help rider B improve incase rider B then beats rider A
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • BigG67
    BigG67 Posts: 582
    I was very lucky to be on one of the flights that took the extended bid team for Glasgow's (successful) attempt to persuade the CGF to grant it venue status for the 2014 Commonwealth Games.

Out of Glasgow that day there must have been 20-30 people heading to Sri Lanka and I'd say 70% watched Flying Scotsman on the plane.

Without exception they all saw Graeme as one of Scotland's and the UK's true sporting heros.

We're talking about the likes of Gavin Hastings and the Chair of SportScotland, along with some of the most recognised sports writers in Scotland. People who know their stuff.

The impressive thing wasn't that they found the fictionalised film inspiring it was that they all knew of his exploits and that they saw him as a hero without the film reminding them. I think that it is/was Graeme's illness that truly stops him enjoying the recognition that is already there.

I know that Graeme critisised the bid, which is his right, but on the way home the whole team still were talking about how great he was.
  • Ste_S
    Ste_S Posts: 1,173
    Derby Mercury is the only cycling club I've ever been a member of but I'd say it was relatively friendly and welcoming - welcoming enough for about 120 members anyway - I'm sure we aren't unique. When people peddle the myth that road clubs are unfriendly I'm always interested to know which clubs they have experience of.

As you were.

As am I.

Pliptrot, which clubs did you try that were un-friendly and un-welcoming to give such a blanket statement ?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I think thats just people. I know some in my club are very welcoming, and others arent.
    If you meet someone at the cafe then - you takes your chances. The club officers tend to be a bit more welcoming though.

Dennis is right about the proving yourself thing - until I'd shown myself as reasonably fit - there was a section that wouldn't bother talking to me.

I don't think its fair to name and shame entire clubs unless the poster has chatted to all the members.
  • ricadus
    ricadus Posts: 2,379
    cougie wrote:
    Dennis is right about the proving yourself thing - until I'd shown myself as reasonably fit - there was a section that wouldn't bother talking to me.

Those types make me laugh. It's like working in an unfriendly office where people in the hierarchy are so status-driven that they won't associate with someone because they fear the individual will somehow undermine their hard-won image as serious professionals. They're not going to waste their time on someone they can't be certain shares the same level of commitment/talent/achievement (or indeed are superior, such is the foundation of insecurity it's all built on).
  • Ste_S
    Ste_S Posts: 1,173
    cougie wrote:
    I think thats just people. I know some in my club are very welcoming, and others arent.
    If you meet someone at the cafe then - you takes your chances. The club officers tend to be a bit more welcoming though.

From my own experience you get on best with riders of a similar ability, as you tend to spend more time riding with them. I doubt there's an elitist thing going on.
    I don't think its fair to name and shame entire clubs unless the poster has chatted to all the members.

it's also not fair to rubbish the entire cycling club scene.
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    cougie wrote:

Maybe naming and shaming is a bit too much but you can certainly be critical of the club for allowing the divisions to occur - but then again, maybe existing members aren't aware such an atmosphere exists. It can also be intimidating for new members to any organisation to say something for fear of being branded a trouble maker.

This attitude isn't confined to cycling though. I recently tried to join a fishing club and while the members talked a good game about their inclusiveness etc...I didn't even as much as get an invite to the club outings to fish on someones boat. They knew when I was attending the meetings that I was new to the area and didn't have a boat but said that didn't matter - well it obviously did matter, 3 months, 3 meetings, never saw a bit of water once. It was more a group of friends rather than an open club. On the other hand, when younger, I used to be part of a great fishing club which was great - very inclusive and catered for all. Its just a matter of looking about to find what suits you I guess..
  • bagpusscp
    bagpusscp Posts: 2,907
    There is more to a cycling club than chain gangs and ripping the legs off the new comer. For a club to really grow it needs to welcome new members and ADVISE them . ie so they dont go out with the chain gang and get hammered .......Never to be seen again.Talent comes in many forms. For any cycling club to really grow it needs to open its doors to a levels of cycling. The family area has yet to be tapped by local clubs in the UK . The best way to change attitudes to cycling is to get this group involved. Who knows what hidden talent will then be found.
    bagpuss
  • Derby Mercury is the only cycling club I've ever been a member of but I'd say it was relatively friendly and welcoming - welcoming enough for about 120 members anyway - I'm sure we aren't unique. When people peddle the myth that road clubs are unfriendly I'm always interested to know which clubs they have experience of.

As you were.

macclesfield wheelers are similarly demeanoured. it's a shame all clubs aren't like that, as i've often espoused joining a club, on here and elsewhere. i'd hate to think anyone took my advice and ended up in a snotty, unfriendly club. :roll:
    riding on my bicycle, i saw a motorcrash…