Dell hates our planet

vermooten
vermooten Posts: 2,697
edited March 2008 in The bottom bracket
They must do and here's why. I ordered a new laptop, they wantto deliver tomorrow morning. I rang up to say that I won't be in, can I collect from their depot after work? The answer was bizarre: no, the driver has to attempt delivery first. I pointed out that I could save them time and petrol by saying: "I won't be in!"

But no - rules are rules.

Obviously all companies "hate our planet" insofar as loving it costs them money. I'm no so naive. But still, whoever designed he process at Dell must be a right cocksucker.
You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers

Comments

• Salsiccia
    Salsiccia Posts: 405
    vermooten wrote:
    They must do and here's why. I ordered a new laptop, they wantto deliver tomorrow morning. I rang up to say that I won't be in, can I collect from their depot after work? The answer was bizarre: no, the driver has to attempt delivery first. I pointed out that I could save them time and petrol by saying: "I won't be in!"

But no - rules are rules.

Obviously all companies "hate our planet" insofar as loving it costs them money. I'm no so naive. But still, whoever designed he process at Dell must be a right cocksucker.

Agreed, but how does that get through the swear filter?!?
    I was only joking when I said
    by rights you should be bludgeoned in your bed
  • AndyGates
    AndyGates Posts: 8,467
    Wow, you bought a consumer device with a high ecological footprint and then moaned about its delivery. I hope your old one was dead and unrepairable.
    Wanted: Penny farthing. Please PM me!
    Advice for kilted riders: top-tubes are cold.
  • vermooten
    Pretty much yeah - the monitor kind of fell off and broke the whole thing. I still drive a car and eat food that's been flown in from other countries though.

I too was surprised that "cocksucker" isn't handled by the sweary filter.

I have calmed down now....

Manchester Wheelers
  • i'd have ordered a macintosh instead, apple use ups who, when i was out the first time, rang me up to arrange a second one.
    riding on my bicycle, i saw a motorcrash…
  • Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    i'd have ordered a macintosh instead, apple use ups who, when i was out the first time, rang me up to arrange a second one.

A "macintosh" I haven't heard a Mac called that for years!!!
  • vermooten
    I'd love to have got a Mac but the Dell I got today (hurrah!) is one-quarter the price of the equivalent-specced Mac, sadly.

Manchester Wheelers
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    edited March 2008
    I have a hierarchy of Delivery Companies.

1) Royal Mail, If I am not in it lands at an office that I pass on my way to work, and if i can't start later mum can get it at lunch time

2) Parcel Force, Their Depot is in Perth (30 miles) but the drivers seem to be willing to leave stuff hidden on the property

n+1) Initial City Link, Their depot is in Glenrothes (40 miles) Though it was worse when they used a depot 45 miles away in Rosyth for here when their nearest depot was 5 miles away in Dundee. If I have to use them then it goes to the office, which I don't like as it usually means going by the Loading bay.

As for the "Waste" of them trying again, unless you live down a 20 mile farm track, chances are the van passes every day.

Not sure where Dells plants are these days but aren't all Apple products manufactured in and flown here from China?
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    macs are always going to be more expensive than PCs such as Dell, and thank God they are! They are dearer for a reason, maybe a Mac for you next time eh vermooten?

Good luck with the Dell mate!