Japan Boycot

Nine Stone Cowboy
Nine Stone Cowboy Posts: 176
edited March 2008 in Campaign
Having seen the agonising slaughter of a mother whale and her calf in the Antarctic on the BBC news I think it's time to start a boycot of Japanese goods. I'm going to make a stand. Adds a twist to the ShmaNO vs. Campag debate!

Anyone else?...

:evil:

Comments

• nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    If you are a meat eater then you are i am afraid being hypocritical.

Fish: European fishing is no better than Japanese fishing, nets are placed in the water and what ever comes up comes up, useless fish or over quota fish are lobbed back into the water dead. Many white fish in the north Sea and Atlantic are under threat of Extinction.

Lamb:
    Ok fair enough they are farmed for it, but some cultures view them as cute furry animals, which takes me on to

Dogs:
    We see them as pets, other cultures see them as food. There are European charities who want the Dog Meat trade stopped. See Lamb, Cow, Horse etc.

Horse:
    In the UK and USA Horse meat is a bit of a taboo, they are fine creatures, for prancing about in posh clothes in, for watching, some don't like the fact people race them.
    Put a knackered horse in front of a Brit and the last thought would be Pie. Many other European cultures have no such Taboo and Horse meat is fine.

Should I start up a boycott British goods campaign just because of the way British Slaughterhouses kill?

Should I start up a boycott non-British European goods campaign because they eat Horse meat?

Should I start a boycott Korean Goods campaign because they eat Dog meat?

If you are wanting to boycott the Japanese simply because you saw an animal being slaughtered so as to produce food and goods that humans use then you must also boycott all of the above because they too slaughter animals for the purpose of producing food and goods.

Doing such I believe would result in you living in a Microstate with your only means of sustenance being a vegetable plot. Of course your country would fail at the first occurance of heavy rains or vegetable disease.

BTW, I had Haddock for Tea, I guess you want me thrown off the forums for eating a threatened species that in catching probably resulted in many other fish being lobbed dead into the sea. Or for that matter maybe I should be chucked off because a relative was involved in the Dundee Whale trade?
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • I'm a veggie. Next...
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    Thank god for that,

Any how, you didn't answer whether you would boycott other countries goods because they kill/slaughter animals for food, goods etc.

Would a Vegan have to boycott Campagnolo because of the cheese and milk industry in Italy?
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • If you are happy to sacntion whaling then that's fine.

Dunno. Ask a vegan. But probably not. Whaling is abhorent to me that's all.
  • If you are happy to sacntion whaling then that's fine.

Dunno. Ask a vegan. But probably not. Whaling is abhorent to me that's all.

I hardly think buying an ultegra rear mech is sanctioning whaling. As already stated on the thread if you start down that route then where do you stop?
    <a>road</a>
  • clarkson
    clarkson Posts: 1,641
    seems a bit of a silly plan to me. fair enough whales are rather large and elegant creatures and more should be done to protect them. but boycotting? no, i dont think it'll work!
    I said hit the brakes not the tree!!

2006 Specialized Enduro Expert
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3192886/

2008 Custom Merlin Malt 4
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/2962222/

2008 GT Avalanche Expert
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3453980/
  • gandalfcp
    gandalfcp Posts: 220
    nwallace wrote:
    Thank god for that,

Any how, you didn't answer whether you would boycott other countries goods because they kill/slaughter animals for food, goods etc.

Would a Vegan have to boycott Campagnolo because of the cheese and milk industry in Italy?

Speaking as a vegan I'd more likely avoid Shimano for manufacturing equipment specifically for Blood sports