BentMikey Posts: 4,895
edited March 2008 in Commuting chat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJ38Dc5GCP4

Last week on my fixed wheel. Oops!

Comments

• secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    F8ck me that was close!

If you'd had some reflective gear on...etc...

Glad that you're OK, though

Do you film every ride?

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    You went through the lights on green? Yeh.

So how come traffic coming from the opposite direction can turn right into your path? Seems a peculiar way of having traffic lights - is it just a London thing?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    Jeez that was close. It looks like he was using the "sheep going through the hole in the fence" technique. I've had similar experiences where I've has to stop and then had 2 or 3 idiots (sheep) all going through!!
  • BentMikey
    IIRC the green lights are for a pedestrian crossing, and the right turn is just an uncontrolled junction right next to the crossing.
  • redddraggon
    BentMikey wrote:
    IIRC the green lights are for a pedestrian crossing, and the right turn is just an uncontrolled junction right next to the crossing.

Aye yeh, watched it again. You still had the right of way anyway, so I hope you gave them a mouthful.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • DavidTQ
    DavidTQ Posts: 943
    just goes to show doesnt it you can do everything possible right and still end up being ran over by a complete moron... that was FAR TOO close and as far as I can see you had done everything right
  • BentMikey
    Thanks guys! I'm still annoyed with myself for not listening more to my instincts instead of thinking I must press on. The driver was genuinely shocked, and I'm sure this was a good lesson to him, so I didn't get too angry or shouty.
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    Glad yer alright

Looking at it again...just where did the driver think they were going to go? The road which they were turning into has traffic backed up.

Not only are they blind, but pretty stuuupid as well.

Road awareness of a hedgehog
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • Totalnewbie
    Totalnewbie Posts: 932
    Don't be annoyed, at least you averted an accident (and were blameless) unlike yours truly...I'm utterly, utterly furious with myself for managing to be the cause of my spill and hence being kept off the bike for the next few weeks. :cry:
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Years ago in good vision I ended up sitting on the wing of a car where she came out onto the road too soon. All I got was the feeble 'apology thru windscreen' which meant sod all. Due to traffic I was able to see her 2 miles ahead turn into a petrol station but the wimp in me decided against the confrontation.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • TheBoyBilly
    TheBoyBilly Posts: 749
    That's happened to me a couple of times in the past Mikey, but in broad daylight!!. It amazes me how drivers can even make eye-contact and still do something daft like this. It's Human Nature I suppose, nothing sinister. Everyone just wants to get somewhere fast nowadays.

Bill.
    To disagree with three-fourths of the British public is one of the first requisites of sanity - Oscar Wilde
  • I wouldn't be to hard on yourself - If it was me, I'd have been over the bonnet.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Fair play Mikey at least you kept your cool but bloody hell that was to close.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Yikes - that was very close indeed!

On Friday night I was cycling slowly down a residential road, just round the corner from home. Heard an engine start up and a car reversed out into the road. No problem at all for me to stop and wait. As I cycled past the lady driving wound down her window and informed me that I wasn't using any lights and she was glad that she hadn't knocked me off. I turned around and before I had said anything, she said, "oh - those blinky things are lights, oh well..." All rather bizarre, given that my front light is 1000+ candlepower with new batteries. Not a drama, but thought that I would share.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    you'd have been ok if you'd been wearing a helmet
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • Seriously, if that had been me, the clip would have continued with a run round to the driver's door, the door opening, followed by scenes of mild violence, and a parental advisory notice.

I take my hat off to you for remaining so calm.
  • Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    Someone did that to me last week in daylight. He just turned across me with one hand on the wheel, the other hand on his mobile. Not impressed, and neither were the cars behind me.
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • BentMikey
    What I thought was really amusing was the driver behind this guy, he was in a BMW and was shaking his head at the idiocy!!
  • WTF! I'm worked up - quite literally sat in front of my computer worked up - on your behalf!
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    Wow Mikey

I really admire your composure for carrying on without releasing at least a verbal tirade!

After I watched your video, this one came up -
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLzGj10fg2g&NR=1
    I'm totally amazed at the skill and fearlessness of these guys whilst simultaneously being utterly furious at such a selfish and reckless demonstration of RLJ and then some!
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    Attica wrote:
    I'm totally amazed at the skill and fearlessness of these guys whilst simultaneously being utterly furious at such a selfish and reckless demonstration of RLJ and then some!

Well at least I know now why cyclists in London have a bad name...

[sarcasm]Forwarding the cause, great work chaps[/sarcasm]
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 1,387
    That's happened to me a couple of times in the past Mikey, but in broad daylight!!. It amazes me how drivers can even make eye-contact and still do something daft like this.

It's the eye-contact thing that's nearly caught me out in the past, both cycling and when on the motorbike. Once a motorist has made eye contact I tend to assume that as they've seen me they won't do anything to radically stupid - but I've been wrong on a few occasions, including some very similar to this clip. I'm not sure if it's a co-incidence but pretty much every time it's happened it's been a female driver!
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 1,387
    Attica wrote:
    Wow Mikey

I really admire your composure for carrying on without releasing at least a verbal tirade!

What a bunch of @rseholes - they clearly don't care about anyone else. If one of them RLJ'd through a crossing I was walking over it'd take a lot of self-control not to kick them off.
  • redddraggon
    I think the eye contact thing is misleading. I think that they think that because you've seen them you'll give them way, even if it's your right of way. We all know it's our right of way, so we carry on and the drivers are surprised we don't stop for them.

I had an incident this morning, it wasn't dangerous as both of us were moving slow, where I was going down a narrow residential street, with cars parked on both sides of the road (the real cause of the problem - this sort of parking shouldn't be allowed). I had already been going down the street for a few hundred metres before a small van decided to turn onto the road. The guy could obviously see me, but carried on driving at me until the last minute, surprised I wasn't going to bow down to him and dive out of his way. It's not something I'd do when it's higher speed though.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr