Whats the furthest people have cycled in one day?

gert_lush
gert_lush Posts: 634
hey there, hello, hope everyone is doing just fine after a nice windy weekend!

Just wondered what the furthest people have done as I am wondering how far I can cycle in a day
Took up the old road biking late last year and have knocked a few 100milers in around 7 hours, and although the 1st one totally spanked me, the 2nd time was much easier as I had a load more miles under the belt and had worked out the whole eating and drinking constantly game.

Back in 1944 my grandma cycled from kent to dorset on a tandem in 'a few days' following the coast, i reckon its about 200 -230 miles, and was wondering if I could up the game and try and do it within 24 hours just for a laugh and to see if i could, as I would feel mighty chuffed with myself if I could.

Other than keeping the mileage going in the week and at weekend any other training techniques?

cheers me deers
FCN 8 mainly
FCN 4 sometimes

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    My max in one day is 120miles when I rode the Audi/Action 100. Had to ridoe from home to the start at Temple Meads then do the 112 miles of the ride
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    200 miles can be done in a day. Might take you 12-14 hours, give or take a bit. It is not
    something to take lightly as you will be very well cooked by the time it's over. If you
    make it at all you will probably never want to do it again. Good Luck.

Dennis Noward
  • LeighB
    LeighB Posts: 326
    130 miles in 9.5 hours, these were hilly miles and I was not dead on my feet at the end of the ride, I ran out of daylight. I have read of people covering 250 miles in a 12 hour time trial so I am sure 230 miles in 24 hours would be within reach of a reasonably fit rider.
  • Personally about 150 a few years ago. Expect to do about 220 in this years 12 hour TT...
  • Haha I feel like such a newbie now. I have only ever done around 40-50 miles....but this summer i'm really wanting to push myself and go further. This is going to be my first summer with my road bike, cycling shoes etc so i'm hoping to see some good results.

I'm planning a cycle up to visit my granda at some point in the summer, so that should take me to around the 100-120 mile mark. :)
  • Mike Willcox
    Mike Willcox Posts: 1,770
    York to London (Hyde park Corner), about 200 miles, through the night with about 6 other riders from the North Road CC.
  • gert_lush
    cheers for the feedback
    .......i'm guessing it would be nearer the 14 hour mark :shock: ..then maybe add afew hahaha
    FCN 8 mainly
    FCN 4 sometimes
  • Raph
    Raph Posts: 249
    Years ago did Paris to London, via Dover/Calais but going the wiggly way so total mileage (land miles) was about 240, in 23 hours including the channel crossing and faffing waiting for the boat. Effectively 20 hours with about a three hour break. Not full touring loads but quite a lot of junk on us nevertheless. The ride out from London had taken three days cos of incessant punctures and mechanical hassles! In those days I often did rides of over 200 miles, generally from London to somewhere and back. Never made any impressive times, but always within a day, albeit sometimes a long one. I remember one to Blandford Forum, scrounging a quick lunch there and back on the road. We'd left at 4am and got back at about midnight.

Up to about 150 miles I find it's best to get stoked up the day before and eat very little on the day of the ride, but beyond that sort of distance I just have to eat little and often.

The only tip I might have for long-distance riding is - don't put any major heroics in until halfway, gradually crank up the energy.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114

Coast to coast

Glasson Dock near Lancaster to Flamborough Head

Good ride. Hilly with some great views.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    150km ending in Verdun, France with full camping gear.
  • 120miles.

Would have been 140 but had to get picked up :cry:
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    Picked up - becuase you were tired or desperate for a sh.... oh never mind :wink:
  • Picked up - becuase you were tired or desperate for a sh.... oh never mind :wink:

I wouldn't have made it home haha. Had been up since 6am cycling after a very bad nights sleep due to a neighbours BBQ party thing.

People singing "all you need is love" very badly till 4 am :cry:
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • aaah long distance p1ssed cyclotouring....spent many hours doing that in my younger days. Great fun till sobriety kicks in, usually at silly am o'clock, dressed only in a lycra top and shorts freezing to death.....
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    Whats the furthest people have cycled in one day? :D 462mi :D 24h champ
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • chrisw12
    chrisw12 Posts: 1,246
    sub55 wrote:

Not quite correct as it was done over TWO DAYS :wink:

Out of interest Paul, what is the furthest you've cycled in one callender day?
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    chrisw12 wrote:
    sub55 wrote:

Not quite correct as it was done over TWO DAYS :wink:

Out of interest Paul, what is the furthest you've cycled in one callender day?

:?: about 500km :P
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • gert_lush
    Theres always one that puts the rest of us to shame! :roll:

well i cant win that game

....I have covered 55miles ina day on my snowboard though :P
    FCN 8 mainly
    FCN 4 sometimes
  • AntLockyer
    AntLockyer Posts: 561
    I'm only up to 46 miles so far (although it was hilly) I'm hoping to do a couple of longer sportives this year so I better get training :)
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    Not absolutely certain - but reckon it must be in the 140 to 150 miles area. Twice.

First when I was about 21 I cycled to the south coast (near Brighton) from London, along the coast to Eastbourne, and then back towards London as far as Sevenoaks.

Last year I completed the Dunwich Dynamo and managed another 30 odd miles on top - as well as the extra 5 or so I had to do to get to Hackney. Not strictly in one day - but it was within 24 hours.
  • Blonde
    Blonde Posts: 3,188
    269 miles in less than 24 hours. Cant remember the exact time - you tend not to having been awake nealy two ful days.. It was in 2006 - a DIY 400km audax from Thorne (near Doncaster) to Edinburgh ... what was I thinking! It rained a lot, it was waaaaay over distance (so I did not get as far as Edinburgh) and I was extremely tired 'cos for some inexplicable reason we had decided to start the ride in the evening having been up since that morning - so I had already been awake about 12 hours before we even started... ah well, lesson learned. have done a few longer rides since then (over 24 hours) starting at a better time of day (in the morning) and with much better results.
  • Mark Alexander
    Mark Alexander Posts: 2,277
    Personally about 150 a few years ago. Expect to do about 220 in this years 12 hour TT...

show off!! :D

for me its 90 :x
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business