North York Moors Route - Any experience?

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
As usual i'm heading off to the NY Moors for my annual pilgrimage to Flamingoland with the Family in April, I've already got a very special route sorted out to start with...taking in Boltby Bank / Blakey Bank / Rosedale Chimney etc...and I know and have experienced all these climbs and assoicaited areas.

But for my 2nd route of the week I'm off to unknown terrain of the NY Moors...i'm heading further North and East...my route is as follows:-

Rosedale Abbey - upto Ralphs Cross via the most gentle climb out of Rosedale and ignoring the right turn off to Fryupdale - then down into Westerdale - continueing onto Commondale - then swinging round right and dropping into Danby - from Danby heading to Fryupdale then up the climb up past 'street' - then decend to Glaisdale - Up Limber Hill to Egton - Egton to Sleights - then a wee circuit around Littlebeck before descending eskdaleside into Grosmont - then upto the A169 via the supposed difficult climb from Grosmont over Black Brow - Then immediately dropping to Goathland then heading to Egton Bridge for the last sting up past Delves...before the dip/rise of Hamer Bridge before returning to Rosedale.

Has anyone got any info on the severity of the climbs:-

1. The climb out of Fryupdale up past street
2. Limber Hill from Glaisdale upto Egton
3. The climbs around Littlebeck
4. The climb from Grosmont over Back Brow
5. The climb from Delves up heading back to Hamer Bridge/Rosedale

How would you rate them against say the Chimney / BlakeyBank / Boltby Bank / White Horse Bank?

Comments

• ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    edited February 2008
    I recall Grosmont being at the bottom of a steep sided valley, 1:4 each way. I would rate them as "short chimneys", short and sharp.

I can recommend Farndale highly as a beautiful hidden dale, not sure it is near to your route, but it would be on the way from Flamingoland to Rosedale and qould be worth a detour in the car...
    Half man, Half bike
  • Limber hill (if I remeber correctly) isn't so bad except it starts immediately after a hairpin, so you lose all momentum entering the climb itself.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • wheeler585
    wheeler585 Posts: 552
    If you would of rode the ryedale rumble you would of gone up limber hill. As shocked says you hit it straight after a hairpin,so get your gearing correct as you might come to a stand still in that big ring!!
    Up hup hup hup.....fricking hate that!
  • Cyrenne
    Cyrenne Posts: 184
    The climb out of Fryup is steady, steepening toward the 3/4 point but the road surface ain't great.
    Limber Hill is always better going up than down because it gets so slippy.
    None are as bad as the four you mentioned at the bottom (well maybe White Horse cos that's fairly tame).
  • mdg1157
    mdg1157 Posts: 222
    Make sure you're already in the small ring as you go round the bend (!!!!!) before Limber Hill, as shocked says, you start it with no momentum
    Bear in mind it's signed as a 1 in 3!!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Yes, I'd struggle to beleive any were as bad as the ones I've already did in the NY Moors...especially Boltby bank and the Chimney, in my mind they are the 2 toughest 1km climbs i've ever did(and i've did a good few), christ even Blakey Bank form Church Houses isn't nearly as bad and I agree, White Horse bank is pretty tame in comparison...thats why I managed to convince Bob.H to replace White Horse bank with Boltby for this years edition of the Ryedale Rumble...the one I keep hearing savage stories about is the climb from Grosmont upto Black brow, the lads from C+ Mag did this and the climb from Delves and said they were disgustingly hard...but i remember reading that they were all thinking of the impending Chimney bank even on the climb from Delves...that tells a story in itself :shock:
  • shockedsoshocked
    shockedsoshocked Posts: 4,021
    edited March 2008
    RICHYBOYcp wrote:
    the climb from Grosmont upto Black brow, the lads from C+ Mag did this and the climb from Delves and said they were disgustingly hard

Quite tough but you can get in to a decent rhythm on it. I may be thinking of a different hill though.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    RICHYBOYcp wrote:
    Yes, I'd struggle to beleive any were as bad as the ones I've already did in the NY Moors...especially Boltby bank and the Chimney, in my mind they are the 2 toughest 1km climbs i've ever did(and i've did a good few), christ even Blakey Bank form Church Houses isn't nearly as bad and I agree, White Horse bank is pretty tame in comparison...thats why I managed to convince Bob.H to replace White Horse bank with Boltby for this years edition of the Ryedale Rumble...the one I keep hearing savage stories about is the climb from Grosmont upto Black brow, the lads from C+ Mag did this and the climb from Delves and said they were disgustingly hard...but i remember reading that they were all thinking of the impending Chimney bank even on the climb from Delves...that tells a story in itself :shock:

The lads from cycling + did say it was hard but anyone daft enough to come to North Yorkshire on a double race gear set up deserves all they get :lol: . And before anyone says anything yes I can ride Boltby and The Chimney on the middle ring but I generally use the granny because I've more sense. :)
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace