pins and needles in hands during riding

aclarkson71
aclarkson71 Posts: 47
Hi everyone, I'm new to the biking scene and have taken to riding to and from work, approx 6 miles each way. I have ben doing this since christamas and have noticed that on the latter stages I tend to get numbness/pins and needles in my hands ( mainly the left). In all respects I'm medically fit so think that it may have something to do with my set up. Any ideas :?:

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Try some better grips/grip tape. You can get either of them with gel padding now, so that should ease it a bit. Also try and have a bit more give in your arms when you ride. So dont hold them straight and stiff.
  • Check your set up - MBUK have a good article this month.

Take a look at the Ergon grips. Specialized also do similar for a lot less money.

Mike
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    I had the same issue for ages, I ended up changing the bar, the angle of the sweep meant my hands were sat at a slightly awkward angle, putting pressure on the nerve. This was along the small finger, ring finger and palm on that side (ulnar nerve). Not a pleasant feeling, ergo grips did help a bit, the new bar helped more and I've gone back to normal grips on both bikes.

I also seem to get it to a lesser degree with some pairs gloves on, they don't feel uncomfortable, I think they just apply pressure to the wrong areas.
  • 320DMsport
    320DMsport Posts: 306
    Funny that as i get the same thing in left hand too!

Mainly my ring finger goes quite dead!

Maybe just not used to wearing that wedding ring yet!

I may try changing my grips and i tend to move my hand around more during the ride.
  • z000m
    z000m Posts: 544
    i took a rest from mtbing for 2 years and when i started again i remember i was getting pins and needles in my hands but it only lasted a few weeks.
  • KonaMike
    KonaMike Posts: 805
    My mate used to get this but since buying Carbon bars has had no problems as they seem to absorb more trail buzz etc.Not a cheap fix I know!
  • muddymart
    muddymart Posts: 20
    Well i went to the doctors with said complaint, and i haven't been on a bike since august, and not yet this year either.. i know , i know....

Doctor reckon its carpal tunnel syndrome, but i beg to differ, symtons are pins and needles in small/ring/and middle finger, and i need operation, but when im working or "active" it goes .. seems strange.
  • Pippen33
    Pippen33 Posts: 235
    Haven't read any of your replys but aplogise if this is being repeated. Pins and needles is usually due to the blood being shaken out of your arms through, how can I say? 'turbulance'??? does the latter stage of your ride include any bumpy terrain?
    spammer
  • broachboy
    broachboy Posts: 429
    morning forum people

I have had serious pins & needles while riding my Beone hardtail. I only get it on the right hand side - well it starts at my right elbow travels down the outside of my right arm into my right hand, little & 3rd finger :x I am convinced that it is the riser bars... when I had my Scott Scale I had a similar problem that stopped when I changed from Scott riser bars to Ritchey WCS flat bars & bar ends. Regarding tyres, I took the Maaxis off and replaced them with Michelin Country Rock for the commute, some improvement was made - most likely due to the lost of vibration from the tyres / road..

But the biggest improvement yet came when I changed my seatpin for a more laid back FSA one and topped it with my old Selle Italia Prolink saddle. The severity of the pins & needles is only half what it was since the change, this must be a position related issue for the majority of people, and I only hope when I switch to flat bars i'll be laughing again :lol::D:wink:
    Regards

Andy B

Colnago Active 2004

Guerciotti Alero 2008

Cinelli Vigorelli Road 2018

Colnago C60 PLWH 2018
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    It's usually your ulnar radial nerve (In think - it runs down your arm into your hand along the fleshy outside area) being squashed while riding.

Spesh Body Geometry gloves are specifically designed to stop this numbness and work a treat.
  • I had the same thing when I first started MBing. I think it's a combination of your body getting used to a new position, and a poor arm position.

All I did was to rotate my bars back about 1 inch to change the angle slightly and the feeling went away.
    My Build is almost complete - I just need some wheels and pedals!
  • broachboy
    broachboy Posts: 429
    I had the same thing when I first started MBing. I think it's a combination of your body getting used to a new position, and a poor arm position.

All I did was to rotate my bars back about 1 inch to change the angle slightly and the feeling went away.

Hmmm beanston I agree, though I would still like the change to flat bars & bar ends for the extra options you have for hand positions, maybe making a fine tuning of your position somewhat easier ? I still feel as if I have a lot weight being placed through my hands onto the bars, especially when carrying a rucksack.
    Regards

Andy B

Colnago Active 2004

Guerciotti Alero 2008

Cinelli Vigorelli Road 2018

Colnago C60 PLWH 2018
  • Dr_Death
    Dr_Death Posts: 1,262
    Pippen33 wrote:
    Haven't read any of your replys but aplogise if this is being repeated. Pins and needles is usually due to the blood being shaken out of your arms through, how can I say? 'turbulance'??? does the latter stage of your ride include any bumpy terrain?

What a load of old tosh.....
    Steve

Trust me, I'm a doctor!

http://www.vimeo.com/DrDeath
  • Dr_Death
    Dr_Death Posts: 1,262
    A lot of 'pins and needles' type feelings in hands are caused by riding position. Most occur in the little and ring fingers and are caused by pressure on your ulnar nerve, most can be fixed by altering things slightly.

Most of them have been covered by others above - changing your bars from flats to risers (or vice versa); moving your position slightly fore or aft (layback post, longer or shorter stem); Rotating the bars to adjust your contact position or adding some padding over the nerves that become trapped (comfier grips or gloves [Specialized BG gloves in particular]).

A few people will be getting symptoms like this because they have developed something like Carapal tunnel syndrome. This tends to affect your grip strength and give you pins and needles over your middle and index fingers and is not usually related solely to riding, it's caused by pressure to your median nerve as it passes under the transverse carpal ligament.....
    Steve

Trust me, I'm a doctor!

http://www.vimeo.com/DrDeath
  • SuperCove
    SuperCove Posts: 127
    I have just start to suffer from this but I have not changed anything on the bike at all... I'm hoping that it'll go as quickly as it came.
    Cove Handjob XC
    Giant OCR
  • helsbels
    helsbels Posts: 11
    what abt checking the angle the brake levels are set to, in relation to your arm angle to the bars?

If its not any of the above then try having a play as forearm/tendon pain in the back of hands and pins and needles have all been caused by over reaching or under reaching the fingers for the brake (and consequently gear) levers
    www.getmountainbiking.co.uk
    Mountain bike skills courses in Northants/Milton Keynes for the uninitiated!
  • hastings
    hastings Posts: 206
    get some specialized gloves they have really good padding to avoid hand numbness and pins and needles. They worked for me. Although be aware that the Velcro tends to go on the cuff if you use them frequently, although if you need another pair they wont exactly break the bank
  • I have heard that the wrong angle of your seat can cause pins and needles in your wrists and fingers, just try adjusting that. If i remember rightly your saddle is tilted too far forwards, and you are leaning on your hands to much. This can also happen when your saddle gets "worn in" as the position changes a little over time (this is why some people have been fine previous and have just started getting it)
  • parkaboy
    parkaboy Posts: 15

Not such a daft idea if you think about it. Veins being superficial and having non return valves :D