Chain tension problem

~Adam~
~Adam~ Posts: 65
edited March 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
I recieved my new sprocket today (30T) and fitted it straight away(16T free wheel), got the tension right, made sure the wheel was in-line and all the usual.

When i turn the cranks the chain gets tighter then as the crank arm gets to the oppesite side it slackens off. its not just a slight tension change either, it gets way too tight at one point.

Can anyone give me any advice as to why this might be happening? And is there anything i can do to stop is happening?

Any help appreciated!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    your chain is too tight.

it is a common problem.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ~Adam~
    well i have tried making it slacker but when it gets to a certain point it is way too slack :?

i have tried a few different tensions but it gets way too tight and slack at certain points
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    - bent bottom bracket axle
    - chainring out-of-round or mounted incorrectly
    - chainring manufactured wrongly
    - unevenly worn chain
    - problem with your rear sprocket

could all contribute.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • probably incorrectly mounted, loosen off bolts half a turn, rotate till tight, whack with a hammer, keep turning to tight and continue until it is centred. From sheldon brown.
  • ~Adam~
    probably incorrectly mounted, loosen off bolts half a turn, rotate till tight, whack with a hammer, keep turning to tight and continue until it is centred. From sheldon brown.

whack what with a hammer? sorry if its a stupid question, and when you say "whack" how hard is a whack? dont want to be breaking anything :lol:
  • nicklouse
    ~Adam~ wrote:
    well i have tried making it slacker but when it gets to a certain point it is way too slack :?

i have tried a few different tensions but it gets way too tight and slack at certain points

you may have incorrectly fitted something then.

Like i said a small change in tension is normal.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • ~Adam~
    Well i turned the crank until the chain was realy tight then moved the wheel forward until the chain was at a reasonable tension, how it should be, then when i turn the crank to the oppesite side the chain is sagging way too much.

If i have mounted something incorrectly can anyone geve me advice on how to fix it?

What 'ride_whenever' said sounds promising but im not sure what you mean when you say "whack with a hammer" :?

Thanks for your help so far.
  • nicklouse
    pictures.
  • ~Adam~
    I dont have a camera :roll:
  • nicklouse
    then take the bike to someone who can see what you have done wrong (if you have).
  • ~Adam~
    Well the only place near me is halfords.... i dont fancy my bike getting looked at by kids :lol:

Im going take everything off and re-mount it all and see where that gets me... again :roll:

Thanks for your help