Carlton

GaryGkn
GaryGkn Posts: 1,199
edited March 2009 in Road general
What type of threading would a Carlton Corsair have?

Is the BB a 24 tpi or Raleigh 26 tpi?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MENS-CLASSIC-CARL ... dZViewItem

Comments

• meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    I've been watching that, but too big for me!

Can't remember when Raleigh switched, so not sure about b/b, but I'd have a small wager on "standard". No reason why it would need more than new bearings anyway?
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • bagpusscp
    bagpusscp Posts: 2,907
    Dave I have a 21 1/2 Carlton . Pm me if you want to know more .
    bagpuss
  • meagain
    Paul, YGM!
    d.j.
  • GaryGkn
    I would like one of those Corsairs they look comfy. I would convert it to a fixed problem is I am meant to be getting rid of bikes and not acquiring!
  • meagain
    "they look comfy"

Well, with a frame that big and 27" wheels and large volume tyres limited to maybe 70psi, they OUGHT to be!!
    d.j.
  • GaryGkn
    It went for £155 I have seen them go from £50 upwards.
  • meagain
    Yup, I didn't think would go above a ton.
    d.j.
  • Dickie
    Dickie Posts: 1,489
    Gary, its 24tpi. I had mine for 27 years from new in 1980. Great bike and very smooth. Chris 531 has it in his collection now. He was amazed at its condition as it was near mint.

http://pics-by-dickie.fotopic.net/c1191898_73.html

Third row down.
  • GaryGkn
    Lovely bike Dickie. They look smooth to me. At the moment I can't justify anymore bikes but I am tempted. Hey if one turns up that fits and a good deal I don't think I could turn it down.

I have two projects on the go. A Mercian Strada Special 653 tubing 1991. I would like some advice on rims. I am tempted by the velocity Aerohead (offset for strength). Or? Hubs are Campagnolo Chorus 10 speed but before they went ugly

The other is the Raleigh Twenty. Just picked up the frame with reduced BB shell now 68 and threading at 24tpi. Not sure what to do about the stem? Have you an update on your R20 project it would be good to see another perspective.

Thanks Gary
  • I have a Corsair GT it is very comfy , it is built according to the Reynolds transfer that WAS on it 'butted tubing' it also has 531 forks, if you can get one in your size DO SO you won't be disapointed. Threading is standard English if I remember correctly.
    being a reformed stuntdrinker allows pontification
  • GaryGkn
    Thanks Steve. If see one I will.
  • peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    i picked up this ratty old frame.

i'm going to respray it, lugline it myself, then build it up as either a fixed, or a tourer, can't quite decide. depends on how much energy i have.

198a_1.JPG[/img]
  • GaryGkn
    Go for it PJ! Sure it will be a satisfying experience!
  • peejay78
    i saw a corsair today in marylebone. looked nice.
  • GaryGkn
    I like Carltons they have made some really nice bikes.

If I see a Corsair that fits the temptation will be too great.

Peejay next week I will post a pic of my BJ.

Cheers G
  • peejay78
    oooh exciting.

my bob jackson has taken a real pounding this winter.
  • gma
    gma Posts: 7
    I've got a Corsair, the same model as this one:

http://pics-by-dickie.fotopic.net/p33214941.html

Does anybody know which tubing the forks and rear stays are made from?

On the Reynolds sticker it says "531 Butted frame tubes" which I think is inferring that the forks and rear stays are made of gas pipe.

I heard that you can work it out by flicking the tube with your fingernail and listening to the noise it makes. I just tried it on the Corsair, two Dawes Galaxies (531 ST forks) and a vintage path bike (probably 531). I got different noises out of all of them, but forks don't seem to ping anything like as much main tubes when you flick them.

Does anybody know?
  • meagain
    "Does anybody know?"

As you infer, Reynolds were very careful as to exactly which tubes were 531 (or whatever) - and by omission which ones were NOT!

I suppose original spec sheets might give a complete list, but then again might not.

Point really I think is "does it matter"?

PS I doubt that a frame with 531 Butted main tubes used "gas" pipe for stays and forks - more likely 4130 (or similar) chro-mo.
    d.j.
  • bagpusscp
    Mid range Carlton & Raleigh bikes were often built with plain gauge 531 main tubes or single butted only , not double butted.The forks & rear triangle often built from unspecified tubing .Probably 18/25 or as Dave says other such as 4130.
    I will speak to another anorak tonight and come back with a full answer. :roll:
    bagpuss
  • Dickie
    Gary I have done nothing to the "Raleigh Throwaway" I just throw it in the loft. When I have money to burn I will have a go. Should just buy a Dahon.

The Holdsworth is on route from the painters after 15 months, so thats next then the Hetchins (Thanks Pete)
  • salsajake
    salsajake Posts: 702
    Hi, just joined - I have one of these and sadly it might have to vacate my stable (Salsa Moto Rapido, Trek 2200, Kona Jake, Grisley Mega 10, plus the wife's Trek 4500) soon, would like it to go to a good home as it is a very nice bike, very original and is in good nick - so any retro fiends who are interested, let me know. Not sure of exact frame size but I'm 5'9 and it is fine for me - if anyone is interested let me know and I'll take some pics and get the details sorted.
  • bagpusscp
    I must resist,I must resist,I must resist......................................... :roll: :wink:
    bagpuss
  • salsajake
    Just re-read my post and realise I didn't say what I had! Carlton, obviously, but its a Corsair - nicknamed by me 'the brown streak' due to its fetching metallic brown colour. Champagne coloured mudguards, leather saddle and I think even the original handlebar tape - in fact everything bar the tyres and tubes is original. It still feels nice to ride, but I can't justify keeping it because I have the Trek for fast blasts and the Kona for crunching the commuter miles, which makes it rather redundant. Its not even nostalgic for me because it is older than me!
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    edited March 2009
    gma wrote:
    I've got a Corsair, the same model as this one:

http://pics-by-dickie.fotopic.net/p33214941.html
    Saw this bike and noticed it is the spitting image on my (1978?) Raleigh Magnum..same colour/guards/rack/transfer pattern/chamfered seat stays.

Are they related?

...and would anybody here like to give it a caring new home?
    Half man, Half bike
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    I was a custodian of a tired Raleigh Carlton in the mid 1980s until mid naughties when it unfortunately died of osteoporosis. It was a 22 inch purple frame I think and very comfortable with 27 1 1/4 inch wheels. I did alot of happy miles on it. It gave it's all just before the headset tube sheared cycling the C2C up around Allenhead in 1999. Prior to this I had even considered getting the frame re-enamelled but blasting it even gently there wouldn't have been much left.... So when I got home it lay dying, until it went to the tip in about 2003. It was way beyond repair. I had intended totally unrealistically to get it repaired but it was a hopeless case. Seeing the nice pic of the Corsair post here brings back fond memories although I don't think mine was a Corsair. Mine had a beautiful looking chainset which had cotter pins (Ughh!) and weighed the equivavlent of a few bags of sugar. Changed it for a Campag double in later years.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • Dickie
    Ridgerider, what size is it c-top? I may be interested, though I need another bike like a hole in the head...just can't help myself.
  • ridgerider
    It's quite big...65cm bottom bracket to top of seat tube, 62cm bottom bracket to top of cross bar, 59cm seat tube to head tube.

I'm 6'1" and the seat post is hardly out of the frame.
    Half man, Half bike
  • salsajake
    If that is too big, mine is smaller (as it were) and looks identical to the one in the photo (because it is the same bike), except it doesn't have panniers and lights, and it still has the original old-skool handlebar tape (actually, should be old-school, this bike is too dignified for the 'k'). I'm not giving it away though, because I do treasure it (and one went on ebay for £155 recently) but for a sensible offer I will let it fly the nest because another bike is to join the stable. Can measure it up/provide photos if anyone is interested.
  • Dickie
    Thanks guys but common sense has won the day (her name is Jo) so I will pass.
  • ridgerider
    Where would us men be without women? :D
    Half man, Half bike