Text driver jailed for bike death

plug1n
plug1n Posts: 204
edited February 2008 in The bottom bracket
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hamp ... 270751.stm

Do I understand right that the cyclist went through a red light and the motorist still got 4 years?

Not that I am complaining but the cyclist was at least partly responsible IMO even though the driver was 50% over the speed limit while texting

Not that I never go through a red light, but I make sure that there are no cars coming or pedestrians crossing

Comments

• is cakestop the right place for this...its hardly lightheated. Maybe its better posted in soapbox.....
  • vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    Sends out a strong message to drivers who text. The fact the cyclist was RLJing is irrelevant - she was exceeding the speed limit, she was texting, and she killed someone.
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • webbhost
    webbhost Posts: 470
    The fact the cyclist was RLJing is irrelevant
    I wouldn't quite go that far. Personally, I would say they both contributed. Should the driver have noit been speeding and texting, then no the teenager would not have been killed.

However, Likewise, if the cycist "obeyed" the highway code, and did not jump a red light (which he must have done knowingly) this fate would not have occured either.

I just read this article before coming on the forum, and it gave me second thoughts to the previously heard "cyclists are safer jumping red lights". Not likely? Cyclists are safer taking a primary position behind the car in front and going when they're allowed to surely?

Not ripping cyclists down olbviously, but I just feel that there is more to blame than "just the driver" here.

Shame on both of them (sorry if thats blunt, dont mean disrespect)
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    Interesting angle from Hampshire Police......

A Green Light means you may proceed "if the way to do so is clear".....not an autonatic right to proceed

Not mitigating the actions of the cyclist, btt hey are arguing that if she was not texting, she would have been able to see that the way was not clear, and acted accordingly.
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)