29th February - Day off?

pneumatic
pneumatic Posts: 1,989
edited March 2008 in The bottom bracket
Why am I working today? Was it budgeted for? Last year I didn't work between midnight on 28th Feb and 00:01 on 1st March and I won't next year. So why should I today?

I could use it as a perfect day for a long ride, except that it is p1ssing down out there and windy, too.

I could use it as a Groundhog Day to try and make a better job of what I did yesterday, but I'd need everyone else to play along.

I could have spent it in bed, but I got up before realising what the date was.

Any other ideas?

Fast and Bulbous
Peregrinations
Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

Comments

• Mog Uk
    Mog Uk Posts: 964
    I get paid a monthly wage to work Monday to Friday, today is Friday, I'm in work.....

I'm failing to understand all these people who think they should be on holiday or getting paid more... :?
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    edited February 2008
    I get paid the same every month, there's only 29 days this month compared to the others that have 30 or 31, so I'm not really losing out.

It's not as though I do much work anyway, doing a student's job.......
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    i earn a yearly salary. a full year is actually 365 and a quarter days, not 365 exactly.

i am in work and dont have a complaint.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Harry B
    Harry B Posts: 1,239
    I'm in work and can't really complain about working an extra day. i need to make up for yesterday when I had a raging hangover and did diddly squat for most of the day :?
  • You will find you are paid per calender year, so if that years calender has a 29th Feb then you are paid for it and have to work I'm afraid.
    "BEER" Proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    You will find you are paid per calender year, so if that years calender has a 29th Feb then you are paid for it and have to work I'm afraid.

Actually, I'm self-employed and I only ever get paid for the days I do income-generating work. In theory therefore today I had the choice: add one day's income to my yearly total, or do something else.

Apparently, if I worked for the National Trust, I would have been given the day off to do something environmental. To me, that sounds like a cue for a long bike ride.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• If you are on a yearly salary then.
    "BEER" Proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy
  • Random Vince
    Random Vince Posts: 11,374
    personally, i just spent the day avoiding my girlfriend!
    My signature was stolen by a moose

that will be all

trying to get GT James banned since tuesday
  • cycologist
    cycologist Posts: 721
    My watch refused to recognise 29th febraury and jumped straight to 1st March. I was quite surprised but when I remarked to my daughter about this she said that hers had done exactly the same thing. sadly , my emplyer did recognise 29th Feb so it was business as usual.
    Two wheels good,four wheels bad
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    If you earn an annual salary you will get paid the same this year as last year even although you are working an extra day.

However if you are self-employed or say a contractor that get's paid by the hour, you would earn an extra day's pay if you worked 29 February this year. So really, ignoring all other benefits, salaried employees are working an extra day for free this year.
  • Mike Healey
    Mike Healey Posts: 1,023
    Assuming that your working days (including paid holidays) for this year are 262, then your working days (ditto) for the next 3 years are as follows, bearing in mind the effect of when the weekend falls at the beginning of the year:

2008 - 262
    2009 - 261
    2010 - 261
    2011 - 260

So it evens out in the end.

I really must get out more
    Organising the Bradford Kids Saturday Bike Club at the Richard Dunn Sports Centre since 1998
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I got on a plane and went to St Petersburg for the weekend
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14