Help with forks

Paul_GT
Paul_GT Posts: 53
edited February 2008 in MTB beginners
I want to upgrade the forks on mine and y boys hardrock sport i have disc brakes he has v-brakes,i have see some good deals today on Tora 302 uturn poplock £129.00 what do you think,or should i make my boy wait andget the 318's.
thanks Paul.

Comments

• papasmurf.
    papasmurf. Posts: 2,382
    hehe yeah make him wait..Merlin are doing some deals on marzocchis with v mounts..only quickly skimmed there site erarlier and noticed cans say more though.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    302 is good, but the 318 has the better damping system, and lighter.
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    that a fiver more then i pad for my 302s (2008) without poploc, great deal IMO.
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • yep gret deal i brought two pairs one for me and the boy,now just gotto wait and fit them will i have to cut the steer stem there going on a hardrock sport.
  • BOYDIE
    BOYDIE Posts: 528
    I ran a set of 318 toras a year or so ago,the better damping system makes for a smoother ride and reacts to smaller bumps better,and because your young lad is probably light getting the air spring set up will be easier than fooling around with different coil springs.

CRC
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=21842

Highly recommended.
  • Well i brought the Tora 302,tryed to exchange them but they had already been dispatched and would cost me £40.00 to send them back by Parcel force,if anyone can give some idea of settings these up would help seen as we are noobs.
  • supersonic
    You get a decent manual with them. Which versions did you get - coil, uturn or air?
  • Uturn with poplock,£127.00 each.
  • supersonic
    There is not much you can do to the spring, apart from set the travel - so hopefully they are the right weight for you. You can change them. You need to set the rebound damping - bottom of right leg - to control how fast the fork extends. You want it fast enough to come back for the next hit, but no so slow as the pack down over multiple bumps. Best to experiment, its easy to adjust, just a twist!
  • Thanks for all your help recieved the forks but they were the wrong ones had no poplock,phoned winstanley cycles who were very helpfull andit was agreed that we would do without poploc and they refund the difference which was about £36.00,been out once on me bike and noticed a big difference cant wait to go for a proper ride.
    Paul.GT