Contacting Planet-X

VW1300_1974
VW1300_1974 Posts: 9
edited June 2008 in Road beginners
I'm trying to contact Planet-X to ask a few questions before I order one of their lovely carbon bikes.

However I never seem to get a reply to the emails I send, and the phone number (mobile) seems to be switched off. I got the contact details from their website. What am I doing wrong? I see their website is undergoing a revamp, could it be that they've changed their contact details & not updated the website?

Thanks is advance

Comments

• jpembroke
    jpembroke Posts: 2,569
    I'm not sure what's going on at Planet X. Their website never seems to get updated and loads of stuff is out of stock. I'm a big fan of their stuff - I have 4 of their bikes - I hope things aren't going wrong.

Perhaps try contacting On One - it's the same company.
    I'm only concerned with looking concerned
  • I always email brant at this address:

brant@planet-x-bikes.com

last time I emailed was about two weeks ago and they replied v. quickly as usual :D
  • Thanks,

That's the email I've been using, but no reply yet (about 2 or 3 days ago).

I'll maybe try from another one of my email accounts, possibly the junk mail filter at Planet-X's end is a bit strong.
  • I've had the same problem. Emailed a week ago and never got a reply. A shame 'cos one of the things I was looking at ran out of stock. Not going to consider ordering until they get some more stuff in.
  • Thanks everyone, got a reply within a couple of hours when I used my other email account.

Looking forward to a visit & a fitting!
  • Mark Alexander
    Mark Alexander Posts: 2,277
    I won't rant for too long. :D

have had saga after saga with them.
    the rules.
    NEVER email them (there is no aknowlegement to over 15 from different addresses)
    NEVER call the mobile. was very short and not good service.
    ALWAYS call the landline. Jen is great, helprul

I had the wrong frame sent, delayed credit to the account and initialy bad customer experience.

That said, they apparently offered [in another thread] to help with the replacement of a carbon frame that was 2nd hand. This IS good service and I was impressed.
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • Mark - sorry you've not had a great time with us.

We try to answer all email in a timely manner.

ps: Jen has left, we have a Caroline now. She's nice too.

--
    brant - on-one and planetx.
  • I'd just like to add that I bought a bike from planet-X yesterday!. I ended up choosing a clearance corner superlight team etc, etc. I hummed and hawed a bit and nearly cancelled for a carbon jobbie. I sent a couple of emails to Caroline, and she replied within an hour both times. I can't fault their customer service and ease of contact. Oh and the bikes superb!
    FCN Minus 5 (+/- 12)
    Genesis Flyer
    Orange O2
    Trick Superlight team
    Custom steel flat bar fixed jobbie for commuting
  • jpembroke
    Good choice. I love my Superlight Team (old-style light blue). It always gets a lot of attention on its annual trip to Provence.
  • I have to say I would have preferred the soft blue, but the darker colour looks really good in the flesh. I have a slight sense of unease at not stretching for the carbon and new ultegra ice sl groupset. However first ride today and the bike felt great.
    FCN Minus 5 (+/- 12)
    Genesis Flyer
    Orange O2
    Trick Superlight team
    Custom steel flat bar fixed jobbie for commuting
  • willbevan
    willbevan Posts: 1,241
    i have always had very quick replies from them, Andy who i've dealt with about bike specs always replied rapidly, i would email in the morning, and by the afternoon the info i had requested was in my mail box.( Still havn't bought mind you as going to buy as soon as my work gets its arse into gear with the cycle to work scheme, not halfords thank god!)

Like the look of there titanium sportive :)
    Road - BTwin Sport 2 16s
    MTB - Trek Fuel 80
    TT - Echelon

http://www.rossonwye.cyclists.co.uk/
  • Dave from planet x here , guess im the company owner so this type of thread is not what we want to read , especially as our reputation has been built on fairly strong customer service if a little quirky .

This makes interesting reading , customer service has been stretched the past few weeks as we have had a small sequence of circumstances that have put us on the backfoot -

- Andy who handles our triathlon sales has been on paternity leave (a month before expected) for the past 10 days meaning all his customer enquiries had to be handled by the warehouse .

- Jen our previous customer service girl left a month ago and her replacement isnt quite up to speed yet

Were doing our best and its not always good enough , if anyone in Doncaster area is a computer literate customer service expert we might be hiring .

The website is about to be relaunched - hence the lack of updates , this has been a 6 month work in progress and is very delayed , were all pretty frustrated at the delays , and also the lack of updates and news - weve a lot of stuff going on and in the pipeline , and quite a few new products that are sat in the warehouse that no-one actually knows about (even the ubiquitous Honjo Koken mudguards have arrived).

Weve spent a lot of time recently working with the lynskey familly - 456 , sportive , pro road - and I guess to a certain extent Brant and myself were so excited , and honoured , to be working with the legendary maestros of titaniium that we maybe took our eye off the ball a little bit .

Anyway - simple response is not good enough but we are trying and the titanium stuff is going to be lovely .
  • carlstone
    carlstone Posts: 602
    Cheers for taking time out to reply to this thread Dave. You are right that Planet X has made its reputation on forums such as this, as, if you relied on the advert revenue motivated cycling press you would be nowhere (not a critisism just an observation). A personal reply is appreciated. I for one would not have know about Planet X and wouldn't have bought my lovely procarbon without the recommendations on the Cycling plus website.

Looking forward to the titanium stuff, keep up the good work.

Carl (from the other side of the Peninnes) :D
  • jpembroke
    Dave - Don't suppose a Ti 'Cross frame will be making a reappearance, will it? If yes, then i'll hold off upgrading my current rig.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Planet X are one of the rare companies who combine quality, good customer service and excellent value for money and long may you survive! Just my two penneth worth.

Looking forward to the ti stuff, can't wait! Seen the preview pics and the Sportive looks really lovely. Your plans for guard bosses sounds ideal and the prices, if your other offerings are to go by, sound amazing vfm.

Bring it on!!!! :D
  • Ti cross frame is coming as well - sample on the way for approval in a couple of weeks .
  • jpembroke
    Mmmmmm, Ti cross frame.
  • carlstone
    In my dreams I see a Ti super commuter with guard mounts, front disk brake and flat bars £999. :D
  • jpembroke
    There are photos of the Ti Sportive on the Planet X website. Looks lovely but I doubt it'll be £999.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    It's just the frame for £999.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • giant_man
    Can't see it advertised for £999 personally but that isn't cheaper than other ti offerings which would be a shame.
  • carlstone
    In my humble opinion Planet X must get one in at under the cycle to work £1,000 mark. Even if it means 'only' having 105 kit and cheaper wheels etc. This price point gets it within reach of a lot of cycle to work scheme subscribers (where consumer credit licence isn't required). Also there have been rumblings that there may be a £1,000 limit on this scheme in the future (heresay I know).

LOOK 8) :
    Sportive6.jpg

Quote from the Planet X site:
    Confirmed prices aren't available just yet, but they're Planet-X so let's just say prices are set to blow the Ti market wide open.
  • Frame only = £999.

If we could have persuaded Halfords that our new "cardboard" wheels made it a complete bike then fine, but they didn't seem convinced.

We also now offer Cyclescheme. Contact us for more info.
  • giant_man
    Fine, and it's a very well finished frame judging by the weld quality, but I don't quite understand how a price of £999 for the frame only is going to 'blow the Ti market wide open' (Planet X web site).

There are other decent ti frames available for less money.
  • >There are other ti frames available for the same money.

Absolutely. But I can't name any with quite such a gathering of heritage and time served craftmanship behind it at the same price.
  • giant_man
    Oh so we're having to pay a premium because of the 'heritage and time served craftmanship' of Lynskey?

OK well I doubt if people are going to see that, only the price tag. Shame because your carbon bikes were absolutely superb value, better than any of your rivals.
  • >Oh so we're having to pay a premium because of the 'heritage and time served
    >craftmanship' of Lynskey?

No - the point is that your *not* having to pay a premium.

>OK well I doubt if people are going to see that, only the price tag. Shame because your
    >carbon bikes were absolutely superb value, better than any of your rivals.

The carbon bikes are still there, will be for a long time, and we've got an *extraordinary* offer coming up on those which will blow the £999 pricepoint "wideopen".
  • giant_man
    Well brant i can see your point, but because of what you have done with your carbon frames and the success you have had with them, deservedly so imo, I think the price of these ti frames are ott, would be better if you made them into more of a special deal as you have done with the carbon frames. If you can do it with carbon could you not with ti? Hope you see my point.

That said, I do think they look fantastic, for me the price if offputting bearing in mind it's a titanium frame.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Giant Mancp - I can see your point.

But how much is a Lynskey frame? The cheap one (R120) seems to be $2,550. By the time you've converted to £ and added the UK ripoff extra, you're looking at at least £1500.

So with P-X you're getting a Lynskey frame for a lot less. Would you rather pay a lot more, for the same quality frame, but just with a different name on the downtube?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr