Where to buy steel frame or bike ?

swaman
swaman Posts: 110
edited February 2008 in Workshop
Hi

My old 531c steel bike has been damaged beyond repair and for the past 3 months I have been riding an aluminium frame, but it is not for me.

Where can you buy an off the peg steel frame or road bike, everyone just seems to stock alu or carbon.

Any recommendation as to retail outlet or model will be appreciated.

Bike will be used for club runs and maybe some racing / TT's

Many Thanks

Comments

• a lot of clubmates use bob jacksons. they can be bougfht off the peg .
  • swaman
    hi pietwagtail91

just had a look now at the bob jackson webpage, i can only see frames with mudgauard eyes so therefore probably have plenty of clearance, i would ideally hope to buy a pretty tight racing geometry frame / bike

thanks
    john
  • Garybee
    Garybee Posts: 815
    They definately do all types of frame, from training to TT frames. Give them a call, i've heard so many good things about them that i'm sure you won't be dissapointed.

Hypocrisy is only a bad thing in other people.
  • I bought a custom steel bike from Vernon Barker some years ago and I would highly recommend his craftsmanship and attention to detail - particularly making sure the bike fits you perfectly. His off the peg steel framed bikes are a very good choice too if you are working to a budget.

http://www.vernonbarkercycles.co.uk/

I always buy "off the peg" italian steel bikes because I don't se the point in buying custom. As far as I know my arms and leg are ordinary size - therefor no need for custom. And italian steel bikes are not budget.

If you get what I mean.

There are steel frames out there. Just have to look a little harder. Condor maybe.
  • gundersen

"Working to a budget" means working to an amount of money you have set yourself. it could be £500 and it could be £5,000. It's just that generally a custom build will cost you more than an equivalent off the peg version of the same bike.
  • if you live near southampton then pop in to Rock n' Road they deal with waterford (custom £900 - £1400 frame only) and Gunnar, waterfords off the peg brand (£650- £700 frame only, in various geometries). they're very well made and gorgeous to ride.

here's mine:

imgp0611imt8.jpg
    pm
  • swaman
    hi guys

had a look at the condor site and there are a couple of things that are interesting, The Acciaio and the Classico frameset.

But I am trying to work to a budget and would probably like to spend no more than £500 on the frame or if I have to spend more then I would have to put on a lower spec group and upgrade that over time. Total budget needs kept to as close to £1000 as I can.

I was thinking a nice steel frame to replace my 531c that I have loved for the past 18 years, and Campag Centuar group with a good set of wheels.

But most important thing I think to spend on to get right at the beginning is the frame

I actually cannot find anybody selling Italian steel frames, but I will also assume they are well over my budget, but i will also be more than happy with a good Britiah built frame.

thanks and more info welcome
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Waterford, Pegoretti or Independent Fabrication are what I would be looking at.

Or on a budget, what about Thorn?
  • fluff.
    fluff. Posts: 771
    Brian Rourke in Stoke has a good reputation for steel frames, one of the few places you can get 953 ones built to suit as well.
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    I'm pretty sure if you speak with Condor they would be happy to sort you out with a frame only deal.

Peter
  • Garybee
    Garybee Posts: 815
    I'd really like a good quality steel race frame. The price of something really nice is impossible to justify in performance terms though. Looking on the 'Rourke site, a 953 frame costs £1400. I can think of a lot more sensible ways to spend that money if you take fashion out of the equation. I really like the look of the Lemond reviewed on this site at the moment.

Hypocrisy is only a bad thing in other people.
  • acorn_user
    acorn_user Posts: 1,137
    With 500 pounds for a nice steel frame, you could go to virtually any UK builder and have them build something nice. Google Ceeway and check out their list. Some places have pretty quick turn arounds too. Also, some Italian steel frames are not that expensive; Simoncini and Faggin come to mind :)
  • yakk
    yakk Posts: 589
    Paul Hewitt would be able to sort you out.
    Did me.
    Yak
  • tenbar
    tenbar Posts: 94
    Don't know where you live but Arthur Caygill in Richmond, North Yorks is renowned for handbuilt steel frames.
  • swaman
    i have phoned around but no one seems to have a stock frame in 55cm, some of the builders are quoting 6 months for a build, i need on a.s.a.p so need to find a builder / tetailer that has some stocks.
  • swaman wrote:
    I actually cannot find anybody selling Italian steel frames, but I will also assume they are well over my budget, but i will also be more than happy with a good Britiah built frame.

thanks and more info welcome
    Condor's steel frames are Italian!

Says the happy owner of a steel fratello.
  • swaman
    hi all

thanks for the suggestions and help, i have spent much of today phoning / emailing the suppliers you mentioned

i now have two options, both good i think, but it leaves me with a difficult decision

i have an offer from a frame builder that has 531c tubes to build a complete bike with 531c frame and campag veloce for £750

i have also come across a brand new stock 753 frame from a very reputable builder with carbon forks exactly the right size i need for £400

any ideas which seems the best route to go

i know and like 531 but i also know that i used to hanker for a 753 but i have never rode one

suggestions / advise / experiences welcome

i will need to make a quick decision as each day that passes i am missing out on riding
  • Maybe not what you're after, but if this was a 53 instead of a 55 I'd have bought it:

http://www.cpcycles.com/products.php?pl ... 125&z=1981

There's a Buenos Aires bike in a 55 as well:

http://www.cpcycles.com/products.php?pl ... Road_Bikes
  • nice steel bikes????
  • swaman

I would choose the 531
    because I have heard that 753 has a rust problem

maybe others have also heard this
  • swaman
    hi gundersen

that is the reason i am needing a new frame, my 531c rusted from inside out on the downtube at the bottom bracket shell !

i cant complain as this was my summer and winter bike for the past 16 years...even had to use it for cyclo-cross one season, so it has served me well

i know the 531c and would probably have been happy to buy another, but then i have come across the 753, from a frame builder known throughout the world and i would normally not be able to afford a frame from him, never mind in 753 so that has tempted me

also, 753 was top of the line tubing and i would always have wanted one when i was younger, but again price was an issue

but your rust issue would concern me, and i like to know if anyone has has or seen an issue with rust on 753 frames

thanks