Another cycle to work scheme conundrum, £1111 to spend

fraser1912
fraser1912 Posts: 7
edited March 2008 in MTB buying advice
Evening all,

I'm in need of advice. I'm looking to spend up to £1111.11p (odd figure I know) on a hardtail and the more I've researched the more confused I've become. I have to buy the bike from the following website http://www.wheelies.co.uk/ so the choice is not too bad, but not brilliant.

It seems that a lot of the bikes that have been recommended to me (Focus, Marin etc) aren't available. I know I could get last years models with a discount from somewhere else but the scheme offers around 45% off and that seems too good to pass up.

At the moment I have narrowed my choices down to three:-
    Orange P7S with Fox fork upgrade Cannondale F3 Scott Scale 40

I was leaning towards the P7 and have read good reviews but isn't the lightest, the Scott wasn't that comfortable and the Cannandale was Ok but I haven't found any reviews.

I want a bike that will last a few years and not collapse under my sturdy frame (5"11, 15 stone)

I have ridden all of the bikes that I've mentioned but all from different shops at different times, oh yeah and in central London (not the best testing ground for a mountain bike!!). This coupled to the fact that I'm comparing the bikes to my current steed (a tired 1991 Trek 820) will give you some idea of the nightmare I'm having.

Any advice, suggestions, inspiration would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Fraser.
Rockhopper Pro 08

Comments

• Will Snow
    Will Snow Posts: 1,154
    id go for the orange, but thats simply because i think oranges have alot more soul than the tothers... built in england see???
    i ride a hardtail
  • Prints
    Prints Posts: 86
    what sort of riding
    im guessing fairly rough based on your examples
  • dunker
    dunker Posts: 1,503
    on that site, i like the spec on the GT zaskar expert.
  • Riding wise I'll be be tackling local trails and woods, then when I'm fitter (could take a while) I'll be heading to Scotland for something a bit more adventurous.

I hadn't considered the GT, I'll check it out.
    Rockhopper Pro 08
  • papasmurf.
    papasmurf. Posts: 2,382
    good luck with wheelies..heard some right horror stories about them
  • Horror stories.........doesn't sound good, in what way?
    Rockhopper Pro 08
  • papasmurf.
    bike being delivered with forks fitted backwards and stuff liek that, they're an issurance replacement outfit ain't they..how come you hhave to use them?
  • They do insurance replacement and have a cycle to work scheme called Cycle Solutions. My firm has chosen to use Wheelies exclusively, others issue vouchers that you can use anywhere, but unfortunately not with my lot.
    Rockhopper Pro 08
  • papasmurf.
    speak to you people and get them to sign up with cycle scheme, girlffriend got her company to change after they went for halfords.
  • dunker
    dunker Posts: 1,503
    can't they order in bikes from anywhere like halfords can?
  • Getting them to change the scheme is a non starter, never going to happen.

Cheers for the suggestion dunker, I didn't consider even asking the question...... but now I have. They said they could get Marin and Trek as well but I would have to pick it up from them rather than it being delivered. Other smaller brands could be a problem but they can try to source almost anything.

That now gives me more choice and I guess I'll have to take a few more test rides.
    Rockhopper Pro 08
  • zero303
    zero303 Posts: 1,162
    You'll be riding a P7 for years to come - they last forever!! I still see '95 models about (a vintage year) and they're normally pristine!!! I had a 2001 model up until last year when some scrote nicked it... only thing wrong with mine is I bought too small...

It's an odd club, owning an Orange, nobody gets it till you own one...
  • Chaka Ping
    Chaka Ping Posts: 1,451
    The Orange sounds like an excellent option, esp with the Fox fork.
  • Well I've finally made my mind up, ordered a P7 S with Fox Forks a couple of days ago.

Today I saw a review of the P7 Pro, and the failed rear dropout is a bit of a worry but it hasn't been a problem in other reviews and I still like the bike.
    Rockhopper Pro 08
  • Chaka Ping
    Chaka Ping Posts: 1,451
    Good choice.

Sounds like the dropout issue would be a clearcut warranty issue if it did go on yours.