A few conundrums

Prints
Prints Posts: 86
edited March 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
The first of which being how the hell do i decide if i need a top swing or bottom swing front mech??
The second being does anybody know if when i order some Ex721's on hope pro11's from merlin, whether they will be 32 or 36 hole as i cannot spot any info from their site letting me know
ta

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what bike is it going on? and ask Merlin.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Prints
    going to require a phone call is it?

24seven darkangel
  • nicklouse
    Prints wrote:
    going to require a phone call is it?

24seven darkangel
    Or an Email.
    So the mech what bike and what is there already as you will need the same type.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Prints
    its a 24 sevel darkangel

no previous mech on there as i purchased it as a frame
    thats why i asked here, all other advice was get the same as what was already fitted
  • nicklouse
    Ok does it have a cable stop for a front mech? what is the seat TUBE diameter? TBH any as there is nothing in the way. cable routing will be the main governing issue.
  • Prints
    so does the swing on the mech govern the direction from which the cable comes, eg, under the downtube or down the seat tube?
  • nicklouse
    no the cable routing does that. does the frame have a mech hanger for a rear mech?
  • Prints
    not part of the frame
    its horizontal dropouts so its hung from a chain tensioner device so that it moves with the wheel

has cable routing for gears though
  • If you take the frame to a decent bike shop they would sort the correct mech out for you-it would take away the guess work. It may cost you a couple of quid more but would also support your LBS
    Magic

Riding, wrecking and repairing mtb's for too long!!

www.about-bikes.com
  • Prints
    i would do but they are all shutting down around here
    my favourite went a month or so ago :(
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Multifit front mech is your saviour. they fit all 3 sizes of seat tube and swing both ways :oops:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • skyliner
    skyliner Posts: 613
    They don't swing both ways, they pull both ways.
    Dual release shifters "swing both ways".
    Front mechs are divided into conventional( downswing) or topswing. Both can be obtained in Multipull.
    On a Darkangel it doesn't matter too much as long as you get multifit, or the correct shims for seattube sizing on the band.
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.