Disc Brake Cleaning Advice

jedi_master
jedi_master Posts: 888
edited February 2008 in MTB buying advice
My bro is getting a Avalanche 3.0 Disc which should be here on wednesday so i am after some advice with regards to cleaning and maintaining the disc brakes. What are the do's and don't when it comes to cleaning the bike and discs ? i know not to get oil on the disc's but what about muc-off nano tech bike cleaner which i use to clean my bike? should he invest in a can of muc-off disc breke cleaner?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what brakes are they? download the manual and see what it says.
    is the muc-off nano tech bike cleaner disc brake compatable?

generally isopropanol alcohol for cleaning the brakes. and clean water.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • my bad, just noticed i put this in the wrong section, was meant to go in tech forum. I'll check the other things out.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    No it was moved, as really it is a buying question about brake cleaners. It is not a Tech question.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The brakes the bike comes with are Tektro I.O mechanical disc's. Muf Offs sit states that the bike cleaner is safe on discs, so that's fine to use. Muc Off's disc brake cleaner states

# Our re-hydrating formula prolongs disc pad life
    # Rapidly removes brake dust, oil, dirt and grime
    # Eliminates brake squeal

So would it be a good idea to use this after cleaning the bike like normal? anyone else use it?
  • dunker
    dunker Posts: 1,503
    i use it on my lx brakes, seems to do what it says on the tin ok :)