Forum members with nothing better to do??

cyclingfury
cyclingfury Posts: 676
edited March 2008 in Campaign
Am I the only person on this forum to get p*ssed off with members who constantly contribute to threads, not to give a helpful answer to the original question but merely to make semantic comments on the previous answers?? Have they got too much time on their hands or are they just trying to raise the number of posts they submit?

For example, the other day I was pulled up for using the phrase "cassette on a chainset" rather than "cassette with a chainset."OK OK I should have said "with" rather than "on", but for heaven's sake.....GET A LIFE!!"

I've lost count of the number of time members on this forum use "to" instead of "too" and "your" instead of "you're" but I really have no desire to submit smug comments pointing out grammatical errors which have nothing to do with the subject matter of the thread itself.

Sorry for the rant, but I feel much better now!!!

Comments

• you have some rage problems

it's a bike forum ..... enjoy

And this comment upped my total - woohoo
  • ." OK OK I should have said "with" rather than "on", but for heaven's sake.....GET A LIFE!!

There's a leading space preceding the first OK and you failed to close the statement with a " :wink:

and yes, I have nothing better to do. It's now 9 days since I found that diesel slick and my knee is the size of a melon :(
  • Well done Gavin, you spotted my deliberate mistakes! (Now corrected.) :wink:

I hope the knee gets better soon.
    For example, the other day I was pulled up for using the phrase "cassette on a chainset" rather than "cassette with a chainset."OK OK I should have said "with" rather than "on", but for heaven's sake.....GET A LIFE!!"

I'm sorry, but it did seem a bit of a dodgy question, Cassette on a chainset(?), I thought you could have possibly meant chainrings, which would have perhaps been a less idiotic question. Coming from some one who has a bike worth many many times more than mine, I thought that might have been known something like that. And I did answer your original question.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • aya604
    aya604 Posts: 67
    Am I the only person on this forum to get p*ssed off with members who constantly contribute to threads, not to give a helpful answer to the original question but merely to make semantic comments on the previous answers?? Have they got too much time on their hands or are they just trying to raise the number of posts they submit?

I've lost count of the number of time members on this forum use "to" instead of "too" and "your" instead of "you're" but I really have no desire to submit smug comments pointing out grammatical errors which have nothing to do with the subject matter of the thread itself.

have you nothing better to do than post this er...... message? :o
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    OK, I confess! I've done it a couple of times; picked people up on their language use. I know it is against the spirit of this medium, but sometimes I can't help it.

If someone posted a message asking where they can get a campagnolo ultegra gearset, we'd all go bananas, falling over ourselves to put them right. Why? Because we'd want them not to make the mistake ever again, not to embarass themselves, or us (for after all they're one of us by posting here).

In the same way, if someone says they have a problem with there breaks, I feel responsible for pointing out FOR THEIR SAKE that they probably mean their brakes and it would be useful not to make that error again.

Trouble is, a lot of us hate being corrected (especially blokes), and really hate being corrected in public. So we agree among ourselves that it is rude to correct others. Which it shouldn't be, IMHO.

Anyway, anyone out there know where I can get a decent titanium fibre road MTB?

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• pneumatic wrote:
    I've done it a couple of times; picked people up on their language use.
    I am not sure about your use of the semi-colon here, Pneumatic.
    The second clause would not make sense as a stand-alone statement.
    :):wink:
  • reddragon,

I have no desire to fall out with you - life's too short! I'm sure your comments were well intentioned.

P.S. You may think my bike is more expensive than yours, but your best bike looks fantastic, particularly as I think I'm correct in believing that you built it yourself? I wouldn't know where to start to put the different bits together - (especially the chainset....!!). :)
    P.S. You may think my bike is more expensive than yours, but your best bike looks fantastic, particularly as I think I'm correct in believing that you built it yourself? I wouldn't know where to start to put the different bits together - (especially the chainset....!!). :)
    Oh, the chainset's easy. You just pop the cassette on and off you go. :D
  • pneumatic
    richardast wrote:
    pneumatic wrote:

Thank you for pointing this out. I did consider the matter for some time. The problem arises from my omitting the pronoun and auxillary verb that are implied before "picked". The omission was intended to reflect the more conversational, neo-verbal register of text in this medium but we have little guidance on how to deploy punctuation accurately in these circumstances. If I had included the words "I have", a semi-colon would have been strictly appropriate. Without them its use seems questionable.

To answer the OP, I'd rather be pedalling than pedanting, but what can a man do on a day like this? It is absolutely p1ssing down out there, the wind is raging around my eaves, I've done my monthly billing and I want to be out on my bike. Instead of that, I am confined to my keyboard, worring about punctuation.

:(

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations

• grayo59
    grayo59 Posts: 722
    pneumatic wrote:
    richardast wrote:
    pneumatic wrote:

Thank you for pointing this out. I did consider the matter for some time. The problem arises from my omitting the pronoun and auxillary verb that are implied before "picked". The omission was intended to reflect the more conversational, neo-verbal register of text in this medium but we have little guidance on how to deploy punctuation accurately in these circumstances. If I had included the words "I have", a semi-colon would have been strictly appropriate. Without them its use seems questionable.

To answer the OP, I'd rather be pedalling than pedanting, but what can a man do on a day like this? It is absolutely p1ssing down out there, the wind is raging around my eaves, I've done my monthly billing and I want to be out on my bike. Instead of that, I am confined to my keyboard, worring about punctuation.

Do you mean auxiliary, not auxillary? What about the missing "y" in worring?
    :D:D:D
    grayo59 wrote:
    Do you mean auxiliary, not auxillary? What about the missing "y" in worring?
    :D:D:D

Ouch! that hurt! I'm so ashamed! Pot, kettle, stones, greenhouses. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations

• meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    "Have they got too much time on their hands or are they just trying to raise the number of posts they submit?"

Yes and yes seems to cover it.
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086

I pedant
    You pedant
    He/She pedants........... :(

Doesn't it get up your nose when people turn nouns into verbs? :wink:

Ruth
  • meagain wrote:
    "Have they got too much time on their hands or are they just trying to raise the number of posts they submit?"

Yes and yes seems to cover it.

A suggestion of such utter ridicule :wink:

'nother post in the bag, ta.
  • pneumatic
    BeaconRuth wrote:

I pedant
    You pedant
    He/She pedants........... :(

Doesn't it get up your nose when people turn nouns into verbs? :wink:

Ruth

Not at all. One of the best things about the English language is its flexibility. That is why it is so successful.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations

• dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601

I donna no bout u but I'm hear fur the money and fame.

Dennis Noward