edited March 2008 in MTB buying advice
i am getting new fr rims but i am utterly confused

i want something very strong but light to go on my pro2
no more than 750g around 50 quid
i was looking at rims like dt swiss fr halo combat funn descender a
and one that i really want to know about the mavic ex729

thanks very much dave

Comments

• i have sun mtx 4X rims, seen them in many downhill bikes and there not to heavy and relatively cheap mine have never buckled or broken after many stair sets and jumps including more than one being cased :P
    If you aint in A&E, you aint riding hard enough

http://identiti4lfe.pinkbike.com/album/Scott-Ransom
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    Sun S-types are great on my Patriot, not sure if the are OEM though..
  • probably best with mtx 4x heard of a few s types cracking due to being sleeved or whatever they are lol

• Will Snow
    Will Snow Posts: 1,154
    halo freedoms???
    i ride a hardtail
  • Will Snow wrote:
    halo freedoms???

yea there good
    my parents made me what i am today ... i'm thinking of suing
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    probably best with mtx 4x heard of a few s types cracking due to being sleeved or whatever they are lol

Mine haven't cracked with the severe abuse I give them but then again I dont weigh very much.
  • I'm looking for rims like this and Halo freedoms have really good reviews but people still keep telling me to get Mavic 721s or 712s whatever thair called. apparently their really good
    I took falling off bikes...and turned it into an art!
  • Will Snow
    arent we people too??? :lol:
    i ride a hardtail
  • umm yes as far as i know but just in case any one who isn't don't feel your at all inferior to us humans

we should really bring the conversation back to MTB wheels
  • Sir HC
    Sir HC Posts: 20,148
    Mavic EX721's, light for a freeride/dh rim and very strong. Make sure you get them built be a decent wheelbuilder.
    Intense Socom
    Inbred
  • Will Snow
    sorry it was just the way you said people are telling you about these rims... but yeh, i like my halo freedoms, and a few peopole are running them on the world cup dh cirsuit this year ( i think). cant say better than that, and only £35 a pop!!
    i ride a hardtail
  • Mythic
    Mythic Posts: 163
    well im a big rider 15 stone 6ft 3 and im quite adventurous if you know what i mean so i need something that will be able to take anything and also when i stack it it will need to be strong

i was thinking about the sun rims mtx camo??
    any thoughts??
  • hmmm £35 quid for something chris smith and loads of other pros run is tempting though
  • i'm running the mtx camo rims fantastic rims, many top riders use them, just look through mbuk you'll see loads, i'm around 13.5 stone but i've been heavier and they've not struggled.

• big-hitter
    big-hitter Posts: 254
    if you build the mavic 729 well enough they are invinible. i got a hope pro 2 rear hub laced onto them on my giant faith 3. i have been to whilster twice and les gets once on them along with my mate who spent more money and got a deemax one. both have been striaght and true the entire time and never rely need tightning. they may not look as good as his but they saved my aload of dosh which i used to get my shocks seviced. save money, by that rim. BUT MAKE SURE IT IS UILD Y A PROFFENAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Tree's are not soft. FACT