Which bike, Boardman Comp, Allez, SCR?

Steve_F
Steve_F Posts: 682
edited February 2008 in Road beginners
I'm looking for my first "proper" road bike and have up to £650 to spend through the cycle to work scheme.

The Spesh Allez, Giant SCR 1.5/2 and the Boardman Comp have all caught my eye - 2008 models. Any feedback on these bikes would be gratefully received as would any other recommendations.

Not sure either if I want a triple, current old/cheap road bike is just a double and I have plenty of strength from mtbing so haven't been defeated by a hill yet.

Will be trying to build up to the 100 mile mark this year, really not sure about joining a club or anything will see how things go!

Cheers
Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
+ cheap road/commuting bike

Comments

• i have last years scr 2. had a few teething problems but good allround bike. did the 100k norhtern rock cyclone on it and the hadrians way in a day in september, but am looking to get a new one this year. not a bad bike for a beginner. but i'm looking for a compact chainset now cause hardly use the tripple.
  • grayo59
    grayo59 Posts: 722
    I bought a 2008 double allez as my first road bike last month. I'm very pleased but them again my hack bike is a 3 yr old Halfords hybrid (mtb) :)
    Get this months Cycling Plus magazine, as someone else has had this question extensively answered on their letters page.
  • Steve_F
    Thanks for that. I'm off to the shops at lunchtime to buy that!
  • PostieJohn
    PostieJohn Posts: 1,105
    PostieJohn wrote:
    Get this months Cycling Plus magazine, as someone else has had this question extensively answered on their letters page.

Don't rush, I've just re looked at the letters page, it's upstairs and I wasn't prepared to walk all that way just too check the facts :lol: .
    Anyway the letter/reply is more concerned with commuting, although if you've already brought the mag be careful about page 99 or else you might accidently spend £1850.

Sorry
  • Steve_F
    No worries, haven't been out to buy it yet but the bike will be used for commuting too so I'll probably still pick it up.

Fortunately I'm limited to £1k through c2w and the bikes in the £600-£650 range look sooooo much better than I'm used to that I'll be over the moon with any of them.

Cheers
  • I got an SCR2 a couple of months ago, and it's been great. Couple of teething probs (as mentioned above), but I think these will probably be shared with all bikes in this bracket. For me, they have been:
    - v cheap bottom bracket - allowed grit/water to get in v quickly. I've now had it replaced.
    - cheap wheels - I've broken two spokes on the back already...
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    "the bike will be used for commuting"

In which case worth checking which will take full 'grds. The SCR will, don't know about the others.
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    I have an Allez.

It's brilliant.

The only way to know which is best is to try them
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • Steve_F
    meagain wrote:

In which case worth checking which will take full 'grds. The SCR will, don't know about the others.

Really not worried about mudguards (or so I say now!!) only a 7 mile round trip to work and will more likely than not take the car if the weather looks bad. Not far enough or saving enough time to justify getting soaked!
  • Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    Does it have to be with Halfords? If not you could look at this - Focus Variado Expert 2008 on wiggle, full Ultegra Ice for £800!! not bad!!
  • iga
    iga Posts: 155
    I think that even if you're stuck with Halfords they can get just about any bike. They'd just order the Focus from wiggle on your behalf. I might be wrong on this but I'm sure I've read of people doing this with c2w and Halfords.
    FCN 7
    Aravis Audax, Moulton TSR
  • Steve_F
    I had spotted the Focus Variado Expert 2007 on Wiggle knocked down to £560 but after a phone call today it's only the 2008 models they can get in at RRP.

I do like the look of the Focus but I should really try and be strong with the budget. £600 has already crept to £650 and it it gets to 8 why not the full grand?!?

SCR 1.5 is topping the list at the moment, Allez has some Sora running gear at a very similar price and didn't feel as comfortable as the SCR. Need to get on the Boardman and out for a ride on both.

Still got a couple of weeks to decide so not ruling the Focus out yet......
  • Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    Steve_F wrote:

I do like the look of the Focus but I should really try and be strong with the budget. £600 has already crept to £650 and it it gets to 8 why not the full grand?!?

lol, who are you trying to convince? us or yourself!!! go for the full thousand, if you don't you'll be wishing that you did in a few months!! :lol:
  • Steve_F
    Yeah, I do keep coming back to that Focus, an extra £200 for a bike that looks like that.

Out of interest, is there any difference between Ultegra and Ultegra Ice?

Boardman Team for £900 looks good too with full Ultegra.

Must be strong :lol::lol::lol: