Gran Fondo Campagnolo 2008

fenlandplodder
fenlandplodder Posts: 230
I have been thinking about doing the GF Campagnolo for years. However other cyclosportifs keep cropping up :-) This year I thought I'd have a go. Despite what it says on the Sports Tour International/Graham Baxter web site, this year the route has changed. If anything, it has been made harder. A rough calculation suggests it has about 5000m of climbing it. So about the same as the Marmotte but longer and not reaching to the heights of the Galibier.

Now I am not sure about signing up for it.

Comments

• vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    Do it! You'll regret if you don't.
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • ricadus
    ricadus Posts: 2,379
    Unlike the Marmotte there are different distances to choose from.
  • Another change is that there are just 2 routes to choose from rather than 3. There is not as ,much information about the shorter route e.g. no route profile yet.
  • only do the long route if you are fit is my advice. you will not finish or have a nice day otherwise.

even the medium route is still a decent day in the saddle
  • rowman
    rowman Posts: 111
    At least this year we won't have to climb the Passo Manghen.

I've just taken a look at this years alternative climb Passo Duran with significant portions of the climb over 10%.

Don't assume that all the climbing is over after Passo Croce d'Aune. There is a nasty short sharp climb on your way back to Feltra also the organisers position the finish line in the centre of the old town at the top of a steep climb... But it all adds to the sense of achievement

Rich
  • Yorkman
    Yorkman Posts: 290
    I'm doing it, as my first overseas Sportive.

I'll let my legs tell me on the day whether it's the long or short route, just need to get some serious climbing experience now.....