How to get from Central London to Hillingdon

terongi
terongi Posts: 318
edited February 2008 in Pro race
I work in Central London (Holborn) and I live in Highgate. I want to start Tuesday evening Cat 4 races at Hillingdon in April. I don't have a car.

How do people who work in Central London get themselves and racing bike to Hillingdon after work? Bikes are banned from trains at that time of day and cycling 1 hour through the rush hour doesn't sound like a good preparation for a race.

Comments

• Cycle it - everyone else does. it is a good warm up and means you get more miles in as part of this whole mid-week event.
  • terongi
    terongi Posts: 318
    oh ok useful to know that people cycle it. What's the best route?

I don't know what the A roads are like up there. Is it best to avoid them?
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    Crystal Palace is closer and easier to get to. Racing is held there on Tuesday evenings from the middle of April. Might be a better alternative.
  • leguape
    leguape Posts: 986
    It's dead easy to get to Hillingdon from central London. Straight down Lancaster Gate through Notting Hill to Shepherds Bush (20 minutes at most), round the green then follow the Uxbridge Road all the way out to Springfield Road just before the Bypass roundabout (25-35 minutes depending on traffic). Almost everyone cycles out because it's usually logjammed with cars anyway.
  • There are no separate Cat 4 races at the Palace, the 3s and 4s race together. The course is also much much harder than Hillingdon so if you're just starting out I would steer clear. However, if you like hairpins and climbing....come on down!
    'e pur si muove
  • Toks
    Toks Posts: 1,143
    terongi wrote:
    I work in Central London (Holborn) and I live in Highgate. I want to start Tuesday evening Cat 4 races at Hillingdon in April. I don't have a car.

How do people who work in Central London get themselves and racing bike to Hillingdon after work? Bikes are banned from trains at that time of day and cycling 1 hour through the rush hour doesn't sound like a good preparation for a race.
    Holborn, cycle west towards Marble Arch, then continue towards Nottinghill Gate and then on to Sheperds Bush; hit Uxbridge Road (very Long) and stay on it, just after Southall (very colourful, lots of Asians peeps) Hillingdon comes up on the left after a little rise in the road not far from a drive thru Mickey Dees on the right. Its definitley sign posted and its in an industrial area. If free, you could get down there this Saturday and test out your current fitness levels in the 3/4 race. I usually ride down from Highbury. :D
  • leguape
    leguape Posts: 986
    I seem to remember the 3/4 race this time last year being brutal as us newbie 4ths got flayed out the back by those eager to grab their second cat licences early in the year. Less a fitness test, more a punishment beating.