Given the gradient of the climb

dave_1
dave_1 Posts: 9,512
edited February 2008 in Pro race
he attacks so hard he has to freewheel into hairpin...such is his uphill acceleration? Do you still enjoy watching this? :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiCIJ2JewPE

Comments

• iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Yes. It is what it is.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • C-S-B
    C-S-B Posts: 117
    Great Vid!
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Anyone can overcook a hairpin. Armstrong may be well prepared but look at the the others who he is riding with like Zulle, Gotti and Escartin. Hardly the patron saints of "bread and water" are they? He is still an outstanding cyclist, I just object to the mythology attached to him.

Rumour has it that the spate of doping stories in the US (Marion Jones, Barry Bonds and others) is going to result in a series of Congressional hearings, where leading sports starts will be invited to explain themselves, Armstrong included. The "I've been tested 1001 times" line might not hold out...
  • Hi there.

Yup - a classic moment in modern bike racing. If I remember correctly Zulle and some of the other favourites had lost time on an early stage when they were stuck behind a crash on a narrow causeway, while Armstrong put the pedal down. He then took the jersey in the time trial, but who knew he could climb like that until Sestriere?

But he did take that first hairpin very badly... If he hadn't hit the apex so early he wouldn't have had to freewheel at all!

Cheers, Andy
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Yeah, and Duffers would say Ullrich corners like a 50 p piece. That was shockin'!

I like that clip though - it looked much
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • DaveyL
    better when they didn't have helmets.

Sorry but your style
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • DaveyL
    of breaking sentences across thread titles is catchy.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • cswebbo
    cswebbo Posts: 220
    It looks like he has to freewheel because of the angle he takes to cut the corner. If he pedalled at that angle there is a chance he would have grounded.

On the other 'issue over L.A.' , i am not an Armstrong 'believer'.
  • dave_1
    he big rings it from what I can see...hence the drastic freewheeling into the hairpin as well as way he take the bend...check chain angle...spinning as he first attacks then revs slow a lot when out the seat below hairpin? Awesome acceleration he has when he first goes...very painful looking for the others
  • alanmcn1
    alanmcn1 Posts: 531
    More juice than an IRN-BRU factory :lol::lol:
    Robert Millar for knighthood
  • dave_1
    alanmcn1 wrote:
    More juice than an IRN-BRU factory :lol::lol:

it's a total waste of that juice for most human beings though, for sure... ...only 5 or 10 in the world in any 1 decade would do it justice? I like the attack :D
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    uhm if you look at the rest of the footage it was actually raining? makes sense to me

still cool to watch..
    cartoon.jpg