New Saddle

Gerry Attrick
Gerry Attrick Posts: 97
edited February 2008 in Workshop
Chaps and Chapesses,

I am in need of a new high end saddle for my road steed. It must be confortable for the whole day. I know these things are personal, but do you have any recommendations?
Perpetuating the myth that Lincolnshire is flat.

Comments

• djb1971
    djb1971 Posts: 565
    Go and try a toupe and get your bum measured for the right width. I personally found the normal toupe more comfier than the gel version over distances.
  • Yep i 2nd that ive got a 143mm toupe saddle,very light and dead comfy for my boney ass!!
    Up hup hup hup.....fricking hate that!
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    3rd for the toupe

looks like a torture device - actually dead comfy - as a bonus is is one of the lightest saddles you can buy!
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    Been using the toupe gel for a while and it works. Just got hold of a non-gel version, so I'll be interested to see if there's much difference in comfort (It came in at 165g if you're looking for something light)
  • yup again for the toupe. I have just bought a Selle Italia SLR kit carbonio flow but amd yet to ride or even sit on it but it looks pretty cool and only weighs 120g!

Gats
  • As you alluded to above it is a personal choice but I found the Fizik Arione a fantastic saddle. I reckon I must have used almost a dozen different saddles over the years and this is the best.
  • Thanks for your advice. May I trouble you further? One of the reasons I am wanting a new perch is because I have a tendency to slide forwards on the present one. Tilting it up causes numb nuts, but I am happy with my ride position and bike fit. Does the Toupe have a reasonably slip resistant cover?
    Perpetuating the myth that Lincolnshire is flat.
  • The alias is more comfortable if you are bigger, the toupe is only max 143mm width, the alias is 135mm 143mm and 155mm. Like riding a sofa. That said i bought a selle italia SLR T1 for TTing with, and its pretty comfy all round. Although the faux leather covering has worn off in just 20 minutes of riding so mine is buggerd already (I borrowed one last year a few times to race on and it was ok)
  • sloxam
    sloxam Posts: 861
    fizik arione for me too, if you get the bog standard one its got suedette (if thats a real thing) as the centre part of the saddle that will grip you.
    i hate hills (cos i'm fat)

www.justgiving.com/steven-loxam/
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Selle Italia Flite
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Andy140
    Andy140 Posts: 130
    First attempt at new saddle was Fizik aliante gamma twin flex, just made my bits go numb and slipped around - changed it for Selle Italia Prolink Gel Flow really comfortable and very well made. IMHO highly recomended
  • kenbaxter
    kenbaxter Posts: 1,251
    Oooooh, another saddle discussion!

Have been through about 8 or so in recent years and the story is all the same - whats suits one person may kill another so unfortunately its "try 'em and see".

Personally having been through a few Selle Italia saddles with not much success I went for Fizik - Arione is very nice, decent price and is fairly flat so if you move around a bit it works well. "Upgraded" to a carbon shell, Ti railed Aliante and its like going from club class up to first class. Really top saddle. Costs a bomb here but get one sent from the States and its way less - some good shops on eBay.com (rather than .co.uk) who will post them over.

So ignore the above and see what works for you!
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Fizik Arione - my first ride with it was 100 miles - no bother !
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    Currently using a 143mm Spesh Toupe Gel. Much nicer than the Spesh BG model that came with the bike.

Haven't tried any other manufacturers though so I think I'll just take what comes with my new bike (rather than spec another Toupe Gel), give it a whirl, and if I don't take to it stick the Toupe Gel on my best bike.
  • I've tried loads of saddles and the Toupe is the most comfortable race saddle
  • Chaps and Chapesses,

I am in need of a new high end saddle for my road steed. It must be confortable for the whole day. I know these things are personal, but do you have any recommendations?

Well I suggest you go to a "spech" shop. Some of them do a "hire to try" thing where you effectively rent (at full price) the saddle of your dreams. If you don't actually get on with it after a week or two, you simply take it back and try another or claim your money back.

My Spech Rubaix (fabby bike) came with a Toupe saddle. Worst piece of planking I've ever had the misfortune to sit upon. I did the "Ride the Route" sportif last August and all I could think about was my poor backside. But each bottom to its own saddle eh?
    I have hired a couple of saddles (as described above) but am coming round to buying a sporty and light (well er relatively so :shock: ) Brooks Team Pro titanium. My B17 looks rubbish on the bike but is heaven to sit upon. Hopefully the Team Pro (once ridden in) will be similar. I reckon that comfort will more than make up for the extra 200 gms of weight.
    2 minute grovels can sometimes be a lot longer..tho' shorter on a lighter bike :-)

Ride the Route Ankerdine Hill 2008

http://peterboroughbigband.webplus.net/index.html