Which front derailleur

chalgo
chalgo Posts: 9
edited February 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
Looking for some advice on replacing/upgrading my front derailleur on my 2007 Specialized Rockhopper.

I've replaced the 44T with a smaller bash ring so I have 22T, 32T, bash ring and now the Shimano front derailleur is a bit high and too long to lower as it'll hit the tube to the rear. I was wondering whether I have to stick with Shimano gear or whether SRAM will be compatable with my Shimano deore shifters. I have a 9sp rear cassette.

Can anyone recommend a front derailleur?

Comments

• Bikedevil
    Bikedevil Posts: 1,156
    Have you tired a Deore front mech, I used to have a short cage front mech on a similar setup
    Brought to you by:
    Trix©orp Industries

For everything & anything pointless
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    chalgo wrote:
    Looking for some advice on replacing/upgrading my front derailleur on my 2007 Specialized Rockhopper.

I've replaced the 44T with a smaller bash ring so I have 22T, 32T, bash ring and now the Shimano front derailleur is a bit high and too long to lower as it'll hit the tube to the rear. I was wondering whether I have to stick with Shimano gear or whether SRAM will be compatable with my Shimano deore shifters. I have a 9sp rear cassette.

Can anyone recommend a front derailleur?

Err if you have just removed the big ring and fitted a bsh ring you DO NOT need to move the mech at all. all you do it adjust the top stop screw so that it does not shift to where the big ring was.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • This is why I think it needs moving / changing - look at the distance from the chain ring.

CRW_2660.jpg[/img]
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    did it shift fine before in the lower rings? yes they it still will.

and you will need clearance over the bash ring.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ok in that case I'll just keep it as is, just looks wrong to me.
  • aphex2k
    aphex2k Posts: 3,229
    It should be a couple of mm off the bashring when it's fitted. You may need to lower it. You may need to re-adjust the cables too. If you have trouble doing this, have a butchers at the ParkTool site.

As it is now, it looks like it will foul the back wheel when you drop to granny! Be careful.
    Mark :)
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Looks too high to me. Should be set as if was a 42/44 chainring.
  • It's set for a 42T chainring at the moment. The problem with lowering it is that the bottom of the cage is very close to the tube out to the rear wheel.