VITUS 979 - problem fitting frame routed rear brake cable

SJLcp
SJLcp Posts: 239
edited February 2008 in Workshop
Hi There

My VITUS 979 & MAVIC build progresses well. Hopefully down to my last problem which is how to route the rear brake cable through the frame. There is a plastic guide rod inserted to help route the cable through - problem is that standard brake cable won't slide down the aluminium tube sticking out of the top tube. Does this require a special narrow cable or is there a trick to this?

I am assuming that the cable is routed right through the frame rather than separate front and rear pieces which stop at the top tube guide entrances with ferrules.

Many thanks

Simon

Comments

• The rear brake outer has to be in two pieces,and only the inner goes through a plastic guide in the top tube,not ideal, a little bit spongey, but good enough for Kelly!

The aluminium tube sticking out of the top tube is a stop for the outer cable.

Rich
  • SJLcp
    Rich - as usual couple of questions

Do I feed the outer cable into the little alloy tubes until they meet stops or do I use ferrules?

Also - the inner cable - are you suggesting that its feed thru the narrow plastic tube between the two end tubes - I guess this is to stop its rattling

Thanks Again

This forum is invaluable for helping with those seemingly insurmountable build probs!
  • Simon, it depends on the diameter of the outer cable and ferrules-I seem to remember in the past using a cable with ferrules, but at the moment it has a standard Campag brake cable outer.

The narrow plastic tube is , I think , a guide.If it wasn't there I think you would feed an inner in one end and it wouldn't know where to come out.

I have 979 which I bought new in 1989 and have rebuilt several times with different stuff, currently original Campag Athena-which is what it came with, so I don't pretend to be an expert,some of my knowledge is just intelligent guess work.

Hope this helps,

Rich.
  • SJLcp
    Rich

I think I see - Your help has been invaluable - many thanks