Rock Racing introduce internal anti-doping

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited February 2008 in Pro race
Brilliant move. Suh running the selection process too!

Rock Racing To Launch Aggressive Internal Anti-Doping Program
2/27/08 - Continuing its commitment to the sport of cycling and clean competition, Rock Racing today announced plans for an aggressive internal team anti-doping program. This internal anti-doping initiative underscores Rock Racing's, and Team Owner Michael Ball's, willingness to take every measure to ensure that its members race clean and fair. Rock Racing has not yet selected a consultant for its internal anti-doping program, but is proud to announce that it will make its formal selection within three days. The selection process will involve discussions with leading internal anti-doping consultants. The program will include testing for performance enhancing substances known to be used in the sport of professional cycling, including EPO, blood doping and steroids. Although Rock Racing is not disclosing the exact dollar figure of the program’s cost, it is a significant investment and one Ball says is necessary. “The responsibility to change this sport for the better has to come from within – from the riders and team owners,” Ball said. “For Rock Racing, the investment in such a comprehensive anti-doping program is really an investment in the future of the sport and we hope our example will encourage more teams to adopt similar programs. The selection process will be led by Maurice Suh of Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP, with assistance from the team and its management."
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    iainf72 wrote:
    . Although Rock Racing is not disclosing the exact dollar figure of the program’s cost, it is a significant investment and one Ball says is necessary.

What has Lance got to do with this?
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • LangerDan wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    . Although Rock Racing is not disclosing the exact dollar figure of the program’s cost, it is a significant investment and one Ball says is necessary.

What has Lance got to do with this?

That's below the belt!

Rule No.10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    this is an awesome move - I thought most teams were involved in this kind of thing anyways? I wonder if its the sponsors of RR that have asked the team to bring this into affect to avoid the possible damaging reputation the sponsors could get if RR were caught doping..

just my 2pence
    cartoon.jpg
  • iainf72
    Doobz wrote:
    this is an awesome move - I thought most teams were involved in this kind of thing anyways? I wonder if its the sponsors of RR that have asked the team to bring this into affect to avoid the possible damaging reputation the sponsors could get if RR were caught doping..

just my 2pence

Michael Ball is the sponsor.

It's damage limitation from Kayle Leogrande.
  • z000m
    z000m Posts: 544
    aggressive, now that sounds impressive. i take it too mean they will torture suspects
    iainf72 wrote:
    Rock Racing To Launch Aggressive Internal Anti-Doping Program
    ."
  • iainf72
    According to Velonews, this is a response to the problems caused by having Hamilton, Sevilla and Botero on the team.

Perhaps Mr Ball should just provide podium girls rather than cyclists?

http://www.socalcycling.com/

Scroll down a bit.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Does 'internal anti-doping' involve some sort of anal probe ?
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Doobz wrote:

just my 2pence

Yeah imagine the damage if, for example, one of the Rock Racing riders tests positive for EPO, confesses to using EPO, but still is not sacked by Michael Ball. And then imagine, for example, that same rider launches an anonymous lawsuit using the legal services of Maurice Suh, a man so clearly devoted to the fight against doping, he's been chosen to select the team's own anti-doping programme! That would be outrageous.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    Cipo seems not happy with ball...I see Cipo's lawyers are meeting him and vaguely it looks like Cipo wants shot of Tyler, Botero, Sevilla type baggage...but can't complain too strongly ...??
  • Richrd2205
    Richrd2205 Posts: 1,267
    The selection process will involve discussions with leading internal anti-doping consultants
    What does that mean? Internal to the team? That they'll be appointing someone already appointed? Without the "anti," RR have plenty of staff who could apply: Hamilton, Botero, Landis etc..
  • I presume their anti-doping test consists of:

Manager: Hey, are you doping?

Rider: No.

Manager: Ok.
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    Who is running it Conconi? :0)
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • iainf72
    I presume their anti-doping test consists of:

Would you like to guess who's tried this approach.

Hint, I have very little time for him.
  • iainf72 wrote:
    I presume their anti-doping test consists of:

Would you like to guess who's tried this approach.

Hint, I have very little time for him.

Does he have the same initials as John Barrowman? :P
  • iainf72

Does he have the same initials as John Barrowman? :P

No, here's a quote

Michael Rogers has told his team that he knows nothing about blood doping on the team during the 2006 Tour de France, as alleged by former team-mate Patrik Sinkewitz. "We spoke with Rogers, and he told us he was not involved in doping practices in T-Mobile Team in 2006," team spokesman Stefan Wagner told the dpa agency. "He is part of our strict anti-doping programme. And he follows this one hundred percent."